Glière Symphony No.3 'Ilya Murometz'

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 12 February 2012, 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

I say Farberman. Downes is very good though.

Amphissa

Jarvi also conducted this symphony with the Philadelphia Orchestra in 2002 at Verizon Hall in Philadelphia.
Dutoit conducted it with his Montreal band in Montreal and then at Carnegie Hall in 2001.
Lopez-Cobos conducted it with the Cincinnati Symphony in 2002
     and again with the Orquesta Sinfónica de Madrid in Spain in 2006.
Brabbins conducted it at Barbican with the BBCSO in 2002.
Sinaisky at the Proms with the BBCPO in 2007. (This performance was complete, 81 minutes)
It was also performed in Columbia, Argentina and Romania in recent years.

So it has been receiving more attention during the past decade. I wonder if any radio broadcasts exist for those performances. I know the Proms recording is about from BBC radio, as is the Falletta which was broadcast on WQXR in NY. I have not seen any of the others.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Amphissa on Sunday 22 December 2013, 02:50
I consider it one of the few genuine unsung symphonic masterpieces.

I'd like to agree because I really enjoy the piece, but frankly it's too looooooong for its material. Musicologist and Russian expert David Brown surely gets it right:
<<This epic piece must earn admiration if only for the enormous time span over which the pictorial vividness is sustained, despite the slender substance of the musical material.>> (emphasis added)
A Guide to the Symphony, ed. Robert Layton, p.278.

mjkFendrich

Quote from: britishcomposer on Sunday 22 December 2013, 18:26
I have just uploaded a late 90s life-performance from Cologne conducted by Neeme Järvi.
I don't know if it is uncut; it takes nearly 81 minutes.

Merry Christmas to all!  :)

Thank you so much for this great Christmas surprise! I've just finished listening to the
entire work - magnificent!

theqbar

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/3222 - here's a link to hear and download the Sinaisky (among others) version.

mjkFendrich

Quote from: theqbar on Monday 23 December 2013, 14:03
http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/3222 - here's a link to hear and download the Sinaisky (among others) version.

Based on the movements timings I guess that version is really the Chandos recording
with Downes!

TerraEpon

Not to mention the Marco Polo/Naxos recording with Johanness.

Alan Howe

LateRomantic75

Alan Howe

FBerwald

Im so sorry to ask this question, as I am not very familiar with this composer but was the Chandos version cut?

sdtom

eschiss1

FBerwald- interestingly, the notes don't say; good question... I see that Farberman's recording on Alto takes 15 minutes longer, but that could also be a matter of tempi...

Alan Howe