Romantic PCs from Brilliant Classics

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 21 November 2009, 16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve B

UPDATE:
. Concert fantasia( Tchaik); 2 good tunes; rest pretty awful(the third part of the first movt is a note-by-note repeat of part 1, with a barnstorming  very long cadenza in the middle. The lovely little sad tune is nice, in the second movt(there are only 2), and comes back, unexpectedly, at the end. So- good bits 8/10; bad bits-1/10

Goetz piano Concerto. That opening movement main theme, though really obsessed on by Goetz, is so elegant, poignant and lovely, so i don,t mind its single-minded repetition; slow movement atmospheric; last movement unmemorable (to me): 9/10 for first movement, 6/10 for remainder.

Sinding: good main theme in first movement but not upto the surging Sinding I like, eg of Piano Sonata. Overall: 4/10 to 5/10. About 5 cds to go!

Any other updates on views/marks/ other performances of same repertoire?

Steve

thalbergmad

Not part of the Brilliant series, but i have just spent a charming morning listening to the Hurlstone Concerto.

Incredibly beautiful music well worthy of a revival.

Thal

Peter1953

You're absolutely right, Thal. Very undeservedly neglected, but what a wonderful music he wrote. I think Hurlstone deserves an own thread.

Omnivore

Tiny query re message 14 - I did not know that Ms Lautenbacher had ever recorded the Goldmark Vln Concerto, either cut or uncut - Steve B are you please able to supply chapter and verse for the recording - grateful thanks.

Steve B

Sorry, omivore; it is Ruggiero Ricci, c/w a piece for violinand harp and orchestra by Spohr, on Turnabout. Sorry, should have checked my facts:). Though it IS cut, because i have a newer Naxos version with a whole xtra development section in the first movement and one or two other extra bits!

Are u  fan of lautenbacher and/or Vox?

Steve

JimL

An extra development section in the first movement of the Goldmark A Minor VC?  News to me.  I always thought that after the exposition there is an extended fugal transition/development (which doesn't involve the soloist at all) leading back to the recap.  My old Milstein LP cut a section from the finale right after the cadenza, but I have since heard the work in its entirety.

Kriton

Quote from: Steve B on Wednesday 13 January 2010, 00:14
Massive prizes for what piece is on cd 13 tracks 1 to 3 :)If you don't get it, perhaps you have gone TOO far(if that were possible) down the unknown footpath:))!)

Just bought the box today, this 13th cd was the second I listened to. I actually did need 10 seconds or so to get over my confusion and pinpoint the right piece. A 'brilliant' joke, or a rather unknown, second work-over of the 3rd Tchaikovsky concerto by Taneyev...?  ;D

Together with Hyperion's volume 50, I reckon the joke is on us (and, above all, on Anton Rubinstein), and we'll be haunted by this work for until the end of days... Well, it could've been worse... It could've been Herz!  :P

Loved the Field No. 2 performance, and the Tchaikovsky concert fantasy as well. Such a shame about the quality of a lot of the recordings, but  there's a lot to admire. It's just the Barber and the Roussel concertos that don't agree with me.

giles.enders

The Hurlstone piano concerto was recently mentioned.  This is currently available in HMV as part of a two set issue, fifty minutes a side and bearing in mind these are old recordings they retail at a staggering £30

eschiss1

Quote from: Kriton on Tuesday 27 April 2010, 17:56
Quote from: Steve B on Wednesday 13 January 2010, 00:14
Massive prizes for what piece is on cd 13 tracks 1 to 3 :)If you don't get it, perhaps you have gone TOO far(if that were possible) down the unknown footpath:))!)

Just bought the box today, this 13th cd was the second I listened to. I actually did need 10 seconds or so to get over my confusion and pinpoint the right piece. A 'brilliant' joke, or a rather unknown, second work-over of the 3rd Tchaikovsky concerto by Taneyev...?  ;D

Together with Hyperion's volume 50, I reckon the joke is on us (and, above all, on Anton Rubinstein), and we'll be haunted by this work for until the end of days... Well, it could've been worse... It could've been Herz!  :P

Loved the Field No. 2 performance, and the Tchaikovsky concert fantasy as well. Such a shame about the quality of a lot of the recordings, but  there's a lot to admire. It's just the Barber and the Roussel concertos that don't agree with me.
I'm going to have to listen to that CD to get the reference to Rubinstein here, aren't I :)
Eric

giles.enders

Anton Runinstein.  No mention so far of his Concertstuck or his Fantasia in C.  These were issued on the Marco Polo label along with his piano concertos and symphonies.  I recently spoke with the wholesaler about these as I see all the above mentioned works around either new or second hand except these.  They told me that they have three copies in stock and they have been there for a long long time.
Does anyone know of a recording of his piano octet in D Op9 ?

Peter1953

Yes, coupled with his Quintett, op. 55, performed by Consortium Classicum, on the Orfeo label (2004).

JimL

Quote from: giles.enders on Sunday 04 July 2010, 12:14Does anyone know of a recording of his piano octet in D Op9 ?
Octet!  Octet!  It was the Piano Octet that is a transcription of one of his early lost concertos!  I thought it was a quintet, but I knew it was the Op. 9!

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteNo mention so far of his Concertstuck or his Fantasia in C.  These were issued on the Marco Polo label along with his piano concertos and symphonies.  I recently spoke with the wholesaler about these as I see all the above mentioned works around either new or second hand except these.  They told me that they have three copies in stock and they have been there for a long long time.
I believe virtually the whole of the Marco Polo and Naxos catalogue can be downloaded from www.emusic.com, for a modest monthly membership fee.

giles.enders

It certainly can but some of us like the cd in it's original packaging.