News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Brahms' "3rd PC"?

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 12 December 2009, 21:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I have come across this news from Channel Classics:

MUSIC DIRECTOR ROBERT SPANO AND ATLANTA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA has performed the WORLD PREMIERE OF  DEJAN LAZIC'S NEW TRANSCRIPTION OF BRAHMS'S CONCERTO FOR VIOLIN.  Officially called Brahms 3rd Piano Concerto.

Mr. Lazic had long felt the beloved D-Major Violin Concerto would work beautifully as a piano concerto. Following his first collaboration with the ASO a little over a year ago, Mr. Spano asked him if there was something out of the ordinary he wanted to do with this Orchestra. Mr. Lazic shared his idea, and the ASO offered to perform the world premiere performances of this great work in a new setting.

It was a great success in Atlanta. Channel was there to record the concerts and will bring this release out in the beginning of the new year.

mbhaub

Well, why not? We've had the Rachmaninoff 2nd symphony turned into the 5th piano concerto. Beethoven's violin concerto transcribed (by Beethoven) for piano and recently for clarinet. Khachaturian's violin concerto is done on flute. And on it goes. It will be interesting, and at least it's not one more recording of the violin version of the violin concerto.

Alan Howe

Yes - why not indeed. It may be very interesting. And potentially very beautiful.

JimL

I guess I don't have a problem with it as long as the piano writing is Brahmsian in style.  What with beloved favorites such as Franck's Vioin Sonata coming out in an arrangement for cello just so Yo Yo Ma can play it, this isn't exactly a big surprise.  Although I do have a gripe with calling it the "3rd Piano Concerto".  I'd even have the same reservation if Brahms had done the arrangement himself.

TerraEpon

Yeah it's silly to call it that, especially "officially" (same with the 'Rach 5th', especially as that's not even a concerto but an arrangement of a symphony). In Beethoven's case I don't see a problem calling it HIS 6th, as it was his own transcription.

Mark Thomas

It's just advertising hype a la Rambo III. Cue gravelly voice: "You thrilled to his First, you swooned to his Second, NOW gasp at his Third!".

Actually I don't mind either, I find these things fascinating exercises. But, of course, there's that little voice saying: why on earth didn't they put that time and effort into promoting one of the scores of real romantic piano concertos which are never now performed? But then I know the answer - no need for the gravelly voice!

Peter1953

Yes, it must be potentially beautiful music, as long as Lazic's piano transcription is Brahmsian in style.

But what would Brahms have thought of this himself? Maybe he would smile and suggest to celebrate Chopin's bicentenary anniversary in 2010 by transforming his opus 11 into an official VC and say: now that will be a real surprise, because so far nobody knew he could play the violin as well.  8)

Jonathan

I too have a problem with the word "official".  It's not arranged by Brahms so it's not official!  End of story.  ???

Hofrat

If I remember correctly, Brahms' PC1 started out as a symphony.  And in addition, when he was composing his VC, he discarded 2 movements and later incorporated them into his PC2.  So, if Brahms could convert a symphony to a PC, and a VC to a PC, I do not he would have troubles converting a PC to a VC. 

JimL

So far as I recall he only discarded one movement.  The 2nd movement "scherzo" of PC 2 was originally intended for the VC.  Speaking of "real neglected PCs", who else has gotten the Rufinatscha?  We open up an entire thread on the subject, and I seem to be almost the only one who has anything to say about it!  I'm thinking of recommending it to Carl Petersson. 

Marcus

Fantastic Allan - I can't wait to hear that !

Marcus

Oops ! Sorry Alan, I mispelt your name. Too much haste !
Marcus.

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

There's a couple long discussions about it, including someone from Channel taking part, on SA-CD.net's forum.

Mark Thomas

I can't say that I like the piano's rather clattery tone, but the generous extract you can hear at the site quoted in Alan's post is quite convincing.