Edmund Rubbra question?

Started by BFerrell, Friday 18 May 2012, 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

Is it pronounced as in "rubber"  or "ruthless" ????

eschiss1

Knew a friend of his who died a few years back, and wish I remembered his answer better than I do because I think it was neither. Closer to roo than ruh, but have a vague recollection that it may have been interestingly a third alternative not immediately suggested (to me) by the spelling.

Jimfin

I've always wondered too! And another one: is Rootham pronounced with a "th" as in "thick", as in "that" or is it "Root-'am"?

Alan Howe

I've always assumed it was "Rub-rer" (rhyming roughly with "rubber") - and "Root'em" (rhyming with shoot'em!!)

Dundonnell

Edmund Rubbra's name is pronounced "Rubb-Ra" :)

reiger

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 19 May 2012, 00:25
Edmund Rubbra's name is pronounced "Rubb-Ra" :)

LOL... That settles it! ;D An administrator can now close the discussion! ;D

eschiss1

Yes, I'm glad that settles it - I'm glad my friend was just pulling my leg.

Alan Howe

Jimfin

I'm fairly sure Ethel Smyth rhymed with "lithe". It is interesting how many British composers had unusual surnames and how few were called Jones, Smith, Green Brown and Chapman

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Jimfin on Sunday 20 May 2012, 02:30
I'm fairly sure Ethel Smyth rhymed with "lithe". It is interesting how many British composers had unusual surnames and how few were called Jones, Smith, Green Brown and Chapman
I recall reading somewhere (years ago now, so don't ask me where) that she pronounced it in the same manner as if it had been 'Smith' -- apparently, she said, "It's not Smythe, it's Smyth -- no final 'E'".  Also, for what it's worth, Dundonnell is undoubtedly correct about the pronunciation of Rubbra; my school music master was a pupil of Rubbra's and he pronounced it that way.   

thalbergmad

Threads like these are extremely important.

I once made a fool of myself with a very badly pronounced Faure, so the more composers I can pronounce correctly, the better.

Almost worth a thread of it's own.

Thal

Alan Howe

I'm also pretty sure it's Smyth as in 'Smith'. Can't quote chapter and verse, though.

britishcomposer

I remember a story told by Smyth that Germans had problems pronouncing her name correctly. Instead of saying 'Smyth' they said 'Schmeiß' which means something like dirt ord mud. There is also a certain fly, in English it's called blowfly, in German Schmeißfliege, because it frequents heaps of mud. So when Ethel arrived, Brahms used to say: 'Ah, die Schmeißfliege kommt!'  ;D

Jimfin

I can't remember why I am so sure she pronounced it "Smyth" as in "lithe", but something in her memoirs, which I read a few times, made me sure of it. Sorry, I cannot quote chapter and verse at all, as I lost the book some years ago

reiger

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 20 May 2012, 13:03
I'm also pretty sure it's Smyth as in 'Smith'. Can't quote chapter and verse, though.

... speaking of "chapter and verse," here's what may well be the bible of composer pronunciation:

http://iowapublicradio.org/about-ipr/dictionary.html