Piano music by George Frederick Boyle

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 26 May 2012, 22:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

JeremyMHolmes

And it gets a glowing review today on musicwebinternational, so looks to be definitely 'worth a punt'.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for reminding me about this recording, Jeremy. A great review, indeed. The tracks are downloading as I type!

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

Just for once I was quick off the mark (doesn't happen too often!) and bought this CD a couple of months ago. I'd never heard of Boyle before, but it looked intriguing. And it turned out one of the best pieces of impulse buying I've done for some time. The MusicWeb review says it much more eloquently than I, but a terrific CD. Some compositions which leave you catching your breath, tremendous performances, and a superbly recorded CD. Why has this music not being known - at least in the UK?

petershott@btinternet.com

Oops..... I mean (before someone charges me with being an illiterate lout) 'not been known' rather than 'not being known'. Apologies.

Gareth Vaughan

Among his orchestral works are a Symphonic Fantasie and an Aubade; also a PC, a Cello Concerto and a piano concertino. Scores and parts of all these are in the Fleisher Collection.

Martin Anderson

That project was being lined up for Toccata Classics some six or seven years ago but then the trail went cold. Ah, well: you win some.... And there's plenty Boyle left to be recorded still.
Cheers
Martin

C R Lim

A pity the Melba Recordings site doesn't offer the complete notes in the form of a PDF file or similar - this could force me to order the CD ...
>:(

More Boyle required!

mikehopf

I've got Boyle's Piano Concerto of 1912 if anyone is interested.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

mikehopf

Boyle's Piano Concerto now downloaded at the request of Alan... or even Mark