Hiller Die Zerstörung Jerusalems

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 16 June 2012, 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Is this the same performance that was broadcast and we have available here as a download? If so then those links need to be withdrawn.

britishcomposer

I have already deleted the 2nd Part of my original post and re-uploaded the zip-file without the oratorio.

jerfilm

Lesson to be learned:  Grab things as soon as they're posted....... :'( :'( :'(

eschiss1

it was in fact (I should not say this, I should not say this) uploaded both as half the oratorio and as the whole thing (though one of those files may have been taken down already, it's been awhile since.) Anyhow, I hope the new release adds to Hiller's wider reputation. Thanks!

Alan Howe

This is very worthwhile music indeed - somewhat like, say, Mendelssohn's Paulus, but who cares about that? Extremely enjoyable and interesting music.

petershott@btinternet.com

Are you referring to the Querstand recording, Alan? It was on my grab list, and then I read an indifferent review somewhere and it got put aside. But Hiller is a composer I care about, and I could so easily revise my disc buying preferences!

Alan Howe

Yep, I have the Querstand recording. Forget the review: there's a lot of good stuff in it...

Alan Howe

That's the trouble with this website, isn't it? It costs money....

Alan Howe

Many thanks again, Alan. Larry Todd's account makes the mouth water - we're now talking a 'must-buy'. (Todd's Mendelssohn book, incidentally, is an excellent read.)

I recall reading that Botstein had conducted the piece....now a Botstein recording would surely be a stunner, eh? I wonder if.......? But probably not, for I suppose the Querstand has got there first, and Hiller is not likely to get huge numbers of folk reaching for their wallets (sad world!).