The 19th/20th Century Italian Symphony (incl. Sgambati Symphonyno2 in E flat.)

Started by Marcus, Monday 01 February 2010, 14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

There is also a symphony by Antonio Scontrino, who I know best for one of his 4.25 string quartets... (.25 for a stand-alone fugue in E minor :) )

alberto

I would add a few names and return on two on Marcus' list.
First I have to name Nino Rota and his four Symphonies (three numbered, and "Sinfonia sopra una canzone d'amore", like the sisters in four movements and lasting about half an hour). Number 1 and 2 are recorded by Bis and Chandos; n.3 by Bis; the "other" by Arts. All are really tuneful and with no shame of teasing the listener: therefore they were not performed until recently.
In recent times I attended in concert twice n.1, once n.2. On this centennial Rota year in Milano the Orchestra G. Verdi presents TEN programs with Rota orchestral output.
Going back to the past I would bring to the attention the fine and unashamedly romantic (in 1944!) Sinfonia Brevis op.28 by E. Wolf-Ferrari (quoted in Marcus list), recorded by CPO: actually non so short at 34' 52" .
Going further back I would also point out the Symphony (1884) of Alberto Franchetti (born in 1860), listed by Marcus.
A fully romantic Symphony lasting half an hour. Exists a decent CD recording (Italian label Bongiovanni): the booklet claims it was succesful in Germany (indeed so were at least two stage operas). In my knowledge in recent times only the infaticable N.Jaarvi has conducted it at least twice in Italy.
Jumping ahead I would quote the Symphonies of Bruno Bettinelli (neo classical and astringent): I have a deleted CD ("Ricordi" label) of "Sinfonia Breve" (1954, lasting 20 minutes) conducted by L.Bernstein (!) along with other works conducted by Muti and Kletzky. (I actually attended a performance of the Sinfonia Breve by Muti).
I would just name Vittorio Rieti (neo classical, emigrated in US in late thirties, for obvious sad reasons) and the short lived Giovanni Salviucci (author of one Symphony worthy of revival).
Obviously the Sinfonia by Luciano Berio appears outside the topic (but it is fine in its kind, much recorded and performed among avantgarde works).
Of course a lot of other names are possible (but usefully?).

Josh

Quote from: alberto on Monday 14 March 2011, 23:18
The Pacini was obviously by far the weaker (and also much the less ambitious, lasting about less than half an hour).

I am in absolute opposite to this, as I don't like Liszt's Dante symphony, while I like Pacini's quite a bit.  I always wished that more of those early/mid-19th century Italian composers had written operatic-style symphonies.  Do you know what I mean by that?  I just don't know of many at all.  Imagine Rossini in the 1840s or 1850s composing a four-movement symphony for full orchestra, operatic in tone... I'm sure he had come up with a nice tune or two after his virtual retirement that never got put onto paper!

I'm fascinated by the idea of an "Italian Opera-style Symphony", and thus far, Pacini's Sinfonia Dante is the only one I can think of.  I'm not saying simply symphonies by Italian composers, mind you; there are quite a few of those that I know and love.  I mean, specifically, symphonies that have a texture/feel taken completely from the style and sound of Romantic-era Italian operas.

TerraEpon

I have the three Rota symphonies together on a Japanese disc, I forget the label. I got it from Berkshire, I believe, for pretty cheap. A bit better than the BIS disc of 1 and 2, IIRC, as well...

Peter1953

John H White

Welcome back, Roz, to our friendly forum. I'm glad to hear that Sgambati is due to get a live performance in 3 years time after all the work you have done resurrecting it. If its going to be at Bournemouth, I'll try and get across to hear it. Meanwhile, having recently passed my 4 score years, I hope to take my grade 2 'cello exam in a couple of weeks' time.

alberto

Bizet's Symphony couldn't be up to a certain extent akin to the sympony Josh dreams of (if we forget the idea of "Italian" romantic opera sound and style, and are satisfied by operatic associations)?

Alan Howe

No, Bizet's early Symphony has nothing to do with opera, methinks...

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 16 March 2011, 18:55
No, Bizet's early Symphony has nothing to do with opera, methinks...

I agree.  It has everything to do with imitating Gounod's Symphonies though!  Nevertheless I shouldn't want to be without it.

Alan Howe