New Juon chamber and orchestral releases

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 03 July 2012, 16:44

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkFendrich

I share minacciosa's opinion about a certain weakness of this violin concerto and wouldn't buy that CD for $40.
I've got my own copy some years ago by ordering it from S.Tschopp directly (not much cheaper yet :-). If I remember
correctly, she also told me to have recorded the 3rd concerto for some Swiss radio production - so perhaps any
one might have a copy of it?

Alan Howe

Quote from: minacciosa on Wednesday 04 July 2012, 16:51
It's an interesting work but not among Juon's best.

The problem, of course, is that we have very little of Juon's orchestral output on CD. The VC is a very attractive late-Romantic work with a particularly lovely slow movement. However, it's now evidently out of print, so one can only hope that Naxos will include it in their forthcoming Juon series.

Alan Howe

Having just listened again to VC2, I have to say that is a really lovely work. The idiom? Well, if you can imagine something between Tchaikovsky and Reger with a special dash of Russian dance music in the finale, you'd be pretty close, I think. Pretty original to my way of thinking - and, by the way, very well done on the CD. Juon was one of my earliest unsung discoveries and I have always thought very highly of him: this VC only confirms my high opinion. For me he's one of those composers - like, say, Taneyev - who has real depth and constantly rewards re-listening. If you can get hold of VC2 second-hand, I'd snap it up... 

minacciosa

I'm a big fan of Juon, but the VC played by Tschopp just isn't up to the high standard the composer set with his Episodes Concertantes, or much of his chamber music. Lovely it is, but the material itself is undistinguished. Juon's Mysterium for cello and orchestra is a more arresting work. There is so much great Juon that could be done, but I'm still happy to have this concerto set down for posterity.

Alan Howe

Well, VC2 may not be up to the standard of Episodes Concertantes (one of the great unsung works of the early 20th century), but it doesn't have to be. On its own terms it's a gorgeous piece and its material is both memorable and distinguished, in my view.

By the way, what 'great Juon' remains to be done? Do you know the scores?

mjkFendrich

BTW: I've just noticed that the German distributor "jpc" (owner of the cpo label) sells the
2CD-set with Juon's complete works for piano trio played by the Altenberg trio for only €7.99 !!

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Paul-Juon-1872-1940-Die-Werke-f%FCr-Klaviertrio/hnum/9668223

minacciosa

The Altenburg is a great set. Unreservedly recommended for acquisition.

Leea25

Exciting news! Ever since I discovered his Piano trio No.1 (Op.17?) in a local library (for sale for 80p!), I have loved Juon. The Chamber Symphony is fantastic. I read somewhere that he was considered a link between Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky... not sure about that, but good music none the less. Does anyone know if the Five Pieces for strings Op.16 have been recorded?

Dundonnell

The answer to your question is , apparently, not.

JimL

Quote from: Leea25 on Friday 06 July 2012, 23:22The Chamber Symphony is fantastic. I read somewhere that he was considered a link between Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky... not sure about that...
Actually, listening to the Kleine Sinfonie I was reminded somewhat of Holst of the St. Paul Suite.  The idiom is similar, IMHO.

Leea25

Now you mention it, JimL, I suppose there is a similarity - it doesn't quite have the vim and vigour of St Paul's for me, though.

There are supposed to be two versions, and Octet Op.27 and a Chamber Symphony Op.27a (or something similar). Does anyone know if there is actually a version that uses chamber orchestra?

Dundonnell

I have now modified my Juon catalogue- http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,3419.msg37610.html#msg37610 -
in an attempt to answer your question.

The Juon website- http://www.juon.org/0.IJGHomePage_en.html - lists the "Kammersinfonie", op.27, available on an MGB (6243) cd, played by members of the Tonhalle-Orchestra, Zurich.

Another source however gives more precise info'.

http://www.musinfo.ch/index.php?content=maske_werke&pers_id=1133&name=Juon&vorname=Paul states that the Kammersinfonie for oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, piano and string orchestra is the opus 27 while the version for septet(oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, violin, viola, cello) and piano is the opus 27A.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 07 July 2012, 20:37
The Juon website- http://www.juon.org/0.IJGHomePage_en.html - lists the "Kammersinfonie", op.27, available on an MGB (6243) cd, played by the Mitglieder Tonhalle-Orchestra, Zurich.

"Mitglieder Tonhalle-Orchestra, Zürich" means members of the Tonhalle Orchestra!

Dundonnell

How kind of you to point that out, Alan :)

I was only briefly at home at the time and did not have the time to check the meaning of the word.

eschiss1

I don't know how easy it would have been to check since it's one of those fun German compound words, I think (starting with mit- with ...) and translator programs just love those. (Mit- with, Glied- member - er- plural, I think... - I had to look up "Glied" just now but that part -was- easy enough at least so long as I looked it up in the singular. *g*)