If you like Walton 1, you'll like this...

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 05 February 2010, 17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I have just discovered the splendid Symphony (written in 1940) by Hubert Clifford (1904-59). It's on Chandos coupled with Edgar Bainton's rather Baxian Symphony No.2. Anyway if you like, say, Walton's 1st, you'll like the Clifford as it's written in very much the same idiom, especially the first movement. Another winner which I'd missed from Chandos...

Steven Eldredge

Thanks Alan,

I will have to look into that CD. I have always loved the Walton First Symphony. What's not to love there?

thalbergmad

I think i might have to buy this as i have never heard Clifford and after listening to the other Chandos disk that contained some Bainton, I am ready for more.

Thal

Alan Howe

Pengelli

Regarding alternatives to Walton's 1st. I don't think you can go better than Stanley Bate's Symphony No 3. One of the most impressive British symphonies I've ever heard. A very powerful work, with a sound world similair to Walton & Clifford ,yet with the lyricism, approachability and romantic poignancy of Vaughan Williams at his best. It really packs a punch & was taken up by a number of leading conductor's and orchestra's in it's day. Dutton Vocalian have now taken up Bate's worthy cause and his 3rd symphony & Viola Concerto are now available on cd & in splendid recordings worthy of the best that Chandos & Hyperion have to offer. These two cds are the first in a survey of Bate's major works and will, hopefully, put this very major British composer back on the musical map,where he belongs!

Alan Howe

Bate's Symphony No.3 is indeed an extremely impressive piece, very much of its time and in a recognisably British symphonic idiom. Well worth investigating in the excellent performance and recording given to it on Dutton.

Pengelli

Calum MacDonald writing in February's IRR Magazine seemed to have some reservations about the finale;finding it's main subject a little awkward.'like a man trying to start an aircraft propeller turning'. I had the same feeling about this when I first heard the work. Still, Walton ,himself. had difficulty completing his more famous work,and taken as a whole,Bate's symphony is still a very impressive work,and it really shouldn't have taken this long for a commercial recording to appear. Anyway,well done to Dutton. Hopefully,it won't be too long before we get to hear more of Bate's output.
CM also observed that the '1965' Cheltenham Festival performance of Bate's 3rd with the CBSO under Boult,was more spacious,giving Bate's ideas more time to breathe. He also point's out that he possessed (or possessed?) a reel to reel tape of this and expresses his hope that if a master exists Testament might be able to release the performance on cd. I would certainly concur with this. (Or,maybe some other cd label might oblige?). Niggles aside, Bate's music really does have a special flavour and quality of it's own.

Pengelli

Regarding the Clifford. I must admit it was the Bainton symphony that 'grabbed me' on that particular cd. That's not to knock the Clifford symphony,and I will certainly have another go at it, as soon as I have the time.
Incidentally,Chandos told me that they were, 'rest assured,' interested in recording the symphonies of Stanley Bate. Does anyone here know if there is anything in the 'offing'? I understand a few of their projects have fallen through,for reasons,obviously,and, sadly,out of their control. I do post regularly on their forum,but there are some people on this forum who seem to have some 'insider' information!!!
If not,I'm quite sure Dutton are well up to the job.

Delicious Manager

The late, great Vernon 'Tod' Handley introduced me to Ernest Moeran's G minor symphony in the mid-80s. That struck me as quite Waltonian in parts.

Alan Howe

Bate's 3rd is absolutely superb - the finale is especially thrilling. I wonder what No.4 will be like in the new Dutton recording...

vandermolen

Harold Truscott Symphony (should appeal to Nielsen fans). I love the Bate No 3 and the Clifford 'Symphony 1940' and Bainton's Third Symphony. Arnell Symphony No 3 (and 4 and 5) are great works too, which should appeal to Walton fans.

Pengelli

I bought the Stanley Bate 4th from Dutton,when it was released. The first time I listened I found it less distinctive. Then I left it on repeat while I was working on the pc and I have since come to the conclusion that it is a far more impressive & cohesive work than it's predecessor,and there aren't the same problems with the finale,as there are with No 3,excellent as it is. If further volumes are as good as this one I might start thinking he is possibly a major figure.
Thoroughly recommended,although I would really have preferred all Bate discs. Still,just use the programmer!
I like Bainton's second,although I only have it on cassette at the moment!

Alan Howe

Klami's 1st Symphony seems in much the same orbit as Walton and Clifford. Sibelius is a constant looming presence, but there is also much sharp rhythmic writing which makes for a very satisfying mix. Why have I only just discovered him, and who else is out there?

Rainolf

E. J. Moeran's Sinfonietta may be a candidate, too.

Latvian

I doubt Walton was a conscious influence, but I hear bits of Walton's harmonic and rhythmic style in the more dynamic sections of the final movement of Symphony No. 1 (1946) by Joly Braga Santos (1924-1988). Hints of Moeran surface now and then as well, with the whole work suffused with a mildly spicy, Mediterranean modalism. An excellent recording is available on Marco Polo for anyone who is curious.

Yes, too, to Klami's 1st Symphony.