News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Franzetti in Weinberg

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 12 July 2012, 11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

listening to some previews at the Naxos site since I do consider getting one of the volumes of this series at least sometime. But in the one work I know well- the 4th piano sonata in B minor, from Gilels' recording (I've also heard McLachlan's recording on Olympia) - he seems, from the sound of things in the previews (1/4 of the timing of the piece) and also from the overall timings (3 of the 4 movements) to sound slower and take considerably longer with each movement. It almost feels like either Gilels was a speedster through this piece, or Franzetti is dawdling, but I've grown accustomed to Gilels' recording- it's a favorite (at least, a favorite thing to listen to when in a particularly sad mood, when listening for something equally sad to match it. The epilogue to the finale capping that off. In my opinion, obviously...)

Holger

I don't have that one yet, but last Saturday I received Vol. 1 with Sonatas Nos. 1&2 among other pieces. Brewster Franzetti is slower than other recordings (McLachlan, Blumina) here as well but I was quite impressed by her playing. I would even say the pieces benefit from her approach: the neoclassicist passages of the Second Sonata, for example, really seem to gain weight this way. Finally, I was glad to have bought the disc and the other volumes will find their way to my collection as well for sure.