Svendsen Cello Concerto etc. from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 20 July 2012, 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

FBerwald

Welcome news. Have been waiting for this for many years.

Alan Howe

Chandos tell me that the UK release date is 3rd September. I think jpc may be jumping the gun - they certainly haven't got it in yet.

febnyc

Interesting - but, geeze - another case of coupling disappointment.  I mean, the Norwegian Rhapsodies and the Symphony have been recorded many times previous.  Cannot these labels come up with more interesting, and less repetitive, discmates?  Is a puzzlement!

jerfilm

Yes, and the cello concerto may be new to CD but it was released in a find recording years ago on Lp.  So as far as I can see none of it is new......

Jerry

Alan Howe

I'm sorry, but those objections pale into insignificance in comparison with the fact that this will be the only available recording of the lovely early Cello Concerto - the old one from LP days never having made it to CD. And as for couplings, well, Svendsen's orchestral output has been pretty well covered in recent years, so it would probably be hard, if not impossible, to put together a programme that is uniformly attractive to buyers such as us. Finally, the soloist is Truls Mork, one of the world's finest cellists, the orchestra is the magnificent BergenPO and, finally, the CD is conducted by that master of the unsung repertoire, Neeme Järvi. Throw in Chandos' likely state-of-the-art recording quality, and this'll be a must-buy.

febnyc

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 20 July 2012, 15:18
Throw in Chandos' likely state-of-the-art recording quality, and this'll be a must-buy.

Well, I'm sorry - but not a must-buy for me.  I don't need more Svendsen Symphonies or Rhapsodies.  I'll spend my shekels elsewhere, thank you anyway Chandos.

jerfilm

I wish Chandos well with this release but like febnyc, with limited retirement shekels, I just don't need another complete duplication of this repertoire.   There is a ballet or ballet suite Spring is Coming that could have subbed for part of that program.  But Alan is certainly correct, his output of orchestral music leaves one wishing there was a lot more...... :( :( :(

Jerry

Alan Howe

Quote from: febnyc on Friday 20 July 2012, 17:16
Well, I'm sorry - but not a must-buy for me.  I don't need more Svendsen Symphonies or Rhapsodies.  I'll spend my shekels elsewhere, thank you anyway Chandos.

If a Svendsen fan wants a CD recording of the Cello Concerto, it's a must-buy.

TerraEpon

Well there's always the digital option. SOME Chandos discs have shown up on eClassical, so one may be able to buy the concerto alone for a good price, IF they put it up there.

Greg K

As Frank & Jer lament, it's just terribly unimaginative programming by Chandos.  Far more intelligent and alluring would have been coupling the Cello Concerto with Svendsen's Violin Concerto, and then filling out the CD with some other Svendsen rarity.  The Rhapsodies add nothing we don't already have enough of.  Honestly also, Jarvi himself becomes more and more like some oversold brand I find myself increasingly tiring of.  His interpretations are always typically robust and impeccably professional, but too often have the feel of "another day at the office".  It's what he does so he keeps doing it, I guess.

Not a seductive release in my judgement.

Alan Howe

I understand the frustration of having to buy a whole CD for the Cello Concerto, but there will be a download available so the superscrimpers will surely be satisfied with that. As I said, for me the choice is simple: the Cello Concerto is finally going to get an up-to-date recording in fine sound. End of.

However, the disparaging comments about Järvi père cannot be allowed to go unchallenged. Of all conductors there cannot surely be one who can compare with Järvi for his championship of unsung repertoire. Of course, if you record so much there are going to be some duds (he's not infallible), but the range and number of his successful recordings of works outside the standard repertoire probably exceed those of any other conductor. Indeed, as I looked through the list of his most recent releases at MDT before typing this, I counted one superb recording after another - many of which I own and in which there is not a trace of the routine.

Frankly, I find this level of ingratitude for the work of a master musician little short of scandalous.

Mykulh

Bravo to Alan for standing up to the cry-babies. Järvi has done more for the cause of Unsung Composers than practically all other conductors combined. May he continue to do so for many years to come.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mike, for rescuing me from a Munch-like scream at the foregoing insanity posted in this thread.

edurban

I would also like to add my vote for Jarvi, pere, who, IMO, manages to make even the less-convincing moments in our favorite unsungs (they do have 'em, and though it be heresy to say it, a certain unevenness is what sometimes separates unsungs from composers of the absolute top rank), sound inspired.  I treasure his Glazunov, Gade, etc... and his Balakirev Sym 1 is one of my favorite recordings.

As for Svendsen: I understand the urge toward completeness and rarities, but, again IMO, Svendsen is a fellow whose smallish oeuvre has an unusually wide range in quality.  To have his excellent Sym 2, perhaps his best work, coupled with the also excellent cello concerto, and 2 rhapsodies thrown in, will make a disc that should win the composer many friends.  I must admit to feeling that the composer's reputation only suffers when you scrape the bottom of the Svendsen barrel. 

I apologise in advance to those who can listen to the Festpolonese with enthusiasm ;)...

David