John Lodge Ellerton (1801-1873)

Started by kyjo, Wednesday 08 August 2012, 01:45

Previous topic - Next topic

matesic

I hope this will link to my "life" of JLE - much, much more than anyone could want. I may as well add that last year I visited the ruins of his family home in a beautifully remote valley in north Wales - currently no permanent habitation for miles.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?s8kpqwguh9hruzs

kyjo

Thank you very much, Matesic, for this interesting article. Last night I just listened to his second of the Op. 61 string quartets. Highlights of this piece for me were the frequent pauses in the first movement and the doleful, almost funeral march-like melody at the beginning of the second movement played by the cello which is transformed into the major near the end of the piece. Not an undiscovered masterwork, but is inventive enough and quite (dare I say it!) pleasant. And I found out that a hymn of his, "We Sing the Glorious Conquest" is on a Priory Records CD titled "The Complete New English Hymnal vol. 20". So a piece of his (although brief and choral) has been commerically recorded ;D!

matesic

Ah no! The hymn is almost certainly by a different John Ellerton (others have experienced the same confusion which I cover at the end of the article). But I do appreciate your appreciation. I think Op61No3 is probably a better piece, with a real joke in the first movement. To make sure we get it, he tells it three times...

Mark Thomas

Belated thanks for the link to your fascinating article on Ellerton. Most illuminating!

kyjo

I kind of thought that hymn might have been by a different John Ellerton, but...;D. I shall look forward to hearing his string quartet op. 61, no. 3!