News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Giovanni Sgambati 1841-1914

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 08 August 2012, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Giovanni Sgambati  Born 28.5.1841 Rome  Died 14.12.1914 Rome

English mother, Italian father.  Studied with Natalucci at The Naples Conservatory and later in Rome with Lizst.  He was a composer, conductor, and pianist.  For some years he was a professor in The Saint Cecilia Academy, Rome.

Orchestral

'Cola di Renzo' Overture  1866  lost ?
Symphony No.1 in D major  Op.11  1880
Symphony No.2 in E flat  1883
Festival Overture  1878
Piano Concerto in G minor Op.10  1878   pub. by Les fils de B. Schott
Epitalmio Sinfonico in form of a suite  1883

Chamber

Piano Quintet in F minor Op.4  1876  pub. by Schott & Co.
Piano Quintet in B flat Op.5  1877   pub. by Schott & Co.
String Nonet  1866 lost
String Quartet 1864
String Quartet in C sharp minor  Op.17  1882   pub. by Schott & Co.
Two pieces for violin and piano Op.24  1890  Sacramata Mapoletana/2
'Gondoliera' for violin and piano Op.28 (one of 4 melodies Op.28)   pub. by Schott & Co

Piano

Allegro con moto in B minor  1886
Ballata in B minor
Notturno for piano  Op.3   pub. by Schott & Co.
Prelude and fugue in B flat minor Op.6   pub. by Schott & Co.
Two etudes for piano, 1. in D flat, 2 in F sharp minor  Op.7
Fogli Volanti eight pieces for piano  Op.8
Etudes de concert  Op.10
Gavotte for piano Op.14   pub. by Schott & Co.
Quattro pezzi for piano - Preludio, vecchio, minuetto, nenia, toccata.  Op.18   pub. by Schott & Co.
Tres notturni Op.20   pub. by Schott & Co
Suite for piano in B minor - Prelude, valse, air, intermezzo, etude malodique. Op.21   pub. by Schott & Co.
Six pieces lyriques  Op.23   pub. by Schott & Co.
Douze melodies poetiques  Op.29
Fifth notturni Op.31
Sixth notturno  Op.33
Twelve melodies for piano  Op.36 (Melodies poetiques)   pub. by C F Peters
Romanza senza parole
Serenade valsee
Tres pezzi Op.42  Preludio, Berceuse Reverie, Melodia Campestrs.   pub. by Schott & Co
Toccata   lost ?
Valse Brillante in E major

Song

Album of five songs  Op.1   pub. by Schott & Co.
Album of 10 songs  Op.2   pub. by Schott & Co.
Cor di fiamma  for voice & piano
'Passiflora'  Op.17
Four Italian songs
L'Emir deBengador  for voice & piano
Melodie liriche, four songs  Op.32
Ninna nanna for voice & piano  1895
Quattro melodie for voice and piano  Op.35  Serafina, Oblio, La Sirena, Canto d'aprile.   pub. by Schott & Co.
'Tout bas' Op.30  pub. by G Schirmer
'Flor di slepe'
Fuori di porta'
Impromptu on a theme by Berlioz  for voice & piano 
'La Mia Stella'
Rose  Op.41   pub. by Schott & Co.
Serenata, per canto e piano
Ballata per tenore
Stornello toscano, for voice and piano
Melodie liriche - five songs and a duet

Organ

Benedizione Muzicale  Op.23
Melodie poet, gives  Op.29

Te Deum laudmas  for organ and strings, also version for full orchestra   pub. by Schott & Co
Versa est in Luctum cythara mea - motet for baritone, organ and strings
Andia filia for voice  and orchestra  1870
Messa da Requeim for chorus baritone and orchestra  Op.38  1896  pub. by Schott & Co

There is considerable confusion where opus numbers are concerned as many of the original numbers were reassigned. For example, the piano concerto has both Op.10 and 15

febnyc

Thank you for that accounting. 

But, ahem - should not such a reference have the composer's surname spelled correctly?   :P

Thanks - duly corrected!
Alan Howe

JimL

Whatever the opus number of the Piano Concerto, its key was not reassigned.  It was, and still is, G minor, not C-sharp minor.  ::)

See here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto,_Op.15_%28Sgambati,_Giovanni%29

P.S. BTW there does seem to be an error in the instrumentation list.  I most definitely hear an English Horn in the second movement which seems to be overlooked on the list (although it is in the score). 

Gareth Vaughan

I believe there is also a third symphony. Am I right?

Mark Thomas

Grove says there's an orchestral Epitalamio sinfonico of 1887 (an epithalamium being a poem written for a wedding procession apparently - who knew?) Is that what you were thinking of Gareth?

Alan Howe

Yes, Gareth - the Epitalamio sinfonico or Sinfonia Epitalamio of 1887-8. It is mentioned in the Wikipedia article about him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Sgambati

Gareth Vaughan

It could be. I just had a feeling that Roz Trubger, who, you may recall, produced an edition of the 2nd Symphony from the MS, had made mention of a 3rd Symphony on a thread on the old forum. Unfortunately, I can't recall the details.

Alan Howe

I'm pretty sure this was the piece she was talking about.

eschiss1

The double-opus-number thing - which applies to more works than the piano concerto- seems to have to do with Italian publishers applying one opus number to some Sgambati works, and German publishers another. Or something.

Gareth Vaughan

Same thing happened, Eric, with Dreyschock's piano music when published in England.  A lot of double opus numbers - quite confusing sometimes.

QuoteI'm pretty sure this was the piece she was talking about.

Yes - I think you must be right, Alan.

kyjo

I never knew he wrote a third symphony! Wow, we now have 3 recordings of the PC but only a two-piano version of one of his symphonies (the 1st) :o >:(! Hopefully Naxos (or Chandos) will record them in their rapidly growing Italian series (which will also hopefully include Pizzetti's symphony).

alberto

The "Sinfonia epitalamia" or "Epitalamio sinfonico" was composed for a wedding in the Italian royal family.
A Sgambati enthusiast (a piano teacher) spoke to me about as a substantial work lasting around half an hour.On the occasion the same pianist held a private concert performing various Sgambati works.
In "public" concerts, I have attended to, I never heard a Sgambati work, except when Yuja Wang recently performed (as an encore) the so called "Melodie de Gluck" (which is a free transcription from Orpheus and Euridice).
Wang also recorded the piece (like, for instance,  Wilhelm Kempff).

giles.enders

Thank you all, I have made the corrections.  I never could spell or read my own writing!

Alan Howe

Quote from: kyjo on Thursday 09 August 2012, 03:29
we now have 3 recordings of the PC but only a two-piano version of one of his symphonies (the 1st)

Actually, there is a full orchestral recording of Symphony No.1, now deleted:
http://www.amazon.fr/Sgambati-Symphonie-Concerto-piano-mineur/dp/B00007J4XA/ref=sr_1_20?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1344506316&sr=1-20

kyjo

I wasn't aware of this, Alan. A shame it's deleted :(!