Joseph Rheinberger -Not Just Organ Music-

Started by John Hudock, Tuesday 23 February 2010, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Quote from: chill319 on Wednesday 24 February 2010, 11:12
...the D-flat sonata that Jonathan mentions. Is a publisher's name handy?

Hi Chill319,
it was published by Rob Forgerg in Leipzig, obviously many years ago as the music has certainly seen better days!  It lists lots of other works by other composers we are familiar with here, e.g. Reinecke, Jadassohn, Henselt and Hiller, to name but four.
Hope this helps!

thalbergmad

Indeed, it was published by Rob Forberg and sold for 3Mk.50pf. according to my copy.

I think this one will be the first i will have a go at. Looks reasonably straight forward and easier than the Romantische Sonata.

Thal

Steven Eldredge

At my church here in Manhattan, St Mary the Virgin, the choir occasionally sings a Mass by Rheinberger which is absolutely beautiful. Rich full choral writing and lovely harmonies. I would be interested in hearing more of his music.

Steven

Marcus

Hello jhudock,
The Wallenstein op10 is the symphony no1.  I quote from the booklet:
"Early in 1866, Rheinberger began working on a Symphony that he titled 'Wallenstein' - Symphonic Tone Painting in D minor for Large Orchestra op10 ...."
The work is a cross between symphonic poem & symphony, with the 4 movements entiotled : Vorspiel (14'53"),Thekla (12'34"), Wallensteins Lager (11'09"), Wallensteins Tod (16'19")
Rheinberger also wrote a Fantasia for Orchestra op79.
Marcus

John Hudock

Thanks for the info Marcus. I'm a little disappointed that there is not an unrecorded Sym #1 out there somewhere.

giles.enders

I have his four piano trios and plan to have one performed in the 2011-12 season at Conway Hall in London.
I don't understand why they are so little known
Giles Enders

Empfindsamer

eschiss1

Quote from: Empfindsamer on Wednesday 30 June 2010, 01:14
Have you noticed this new double cd?

New CD, but are the performances new or reissues of performances that were released on 2 CDs on the label Signum in 1994-5 or so? :) (I've heard some but not all of them. The reissue is welcome, of course.)
Eric

Empfindsamer

Ah, I didn't know the Signum release, sorry...  :)

Ignaz Brüll

I want that discs! Rheinberger was a very good composer!

Jonathan

Glazier

Any opinions of this CD?

Sextett Op. 191b (Hungaroton, DDD, 2003)
Rheinberger, Joseph (1839-1901)
+Nonett in Es op.139 Künstler: Gyöngyössy, Csizmadia, Klenyan, Cserna, Bizjak, Nagy, Lakatos, Somogyi, Melis, Vamos, Lukacshazi

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHave you noticed this new double cd?
Can you give details of the CD, please? Record company and where it may be purchased. It looks like a reissue of the performance on Signum - which is no bad thing, since that disk is deleted and currently appears offered for "silly" prices.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 04 July 2010, 22:42
QuoteHave you noticed this new double cd?
Can you give details of the CD, please? Record company and where it may be purchased. It looks like a reissue of the performance on Signum - which is no bad thing, since that disk is deleted and currently appears offered for "silly" prices.
It's on Christophorus. MDT will soon have it. http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//CHE1532.htm

allegroamabile

What about the Piano Quintet in C major. Talk about unsung! I have only found one recording of this on Thorofon. It is a beautiful piece with heartwarming melodies that would remind you of Dvorak.