News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

French Piano Quintets

Started by EdwardHan, Sunday 12 August 2012, 05:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Can anyone introduce us to one or two of the works by the less well-known composers? Otherwise, all we have is another list...

minacciosa

I have LeFlem's quintet, but I believe it is still available o Cybelia.

Alan Howe

What's LeFlem's PQ like in terms of idiom?

EdwardHan

Le Flem's Piano Quintet is constructed mostly following Franck's example, with adoption of folk tunes from Brittany, the composer's hometown.

minacciosa

It's more modern than that. The vocabulary is decidedly of impressionist bent, with the emphasis upon mood rather than argument.

EdwardHan

Giles:
Could you please detail your excellent list a little bit, like the composing date and the opus number of some less known quintets? I can't find information for some works that you listed.

X. Trapnel

Among the more esoteric items on the lists I've heard, I would decribe the Durosoir (1925) as being in the Franck line (the first movement almost quotes the CF quintet) but knotty, astringent though not quite "modern," no impressionism to speak of either; an austere work compared to Le Flem, Cras, Hure (this last is in the Franck manner, compact and intense). I don't believe Georges Witkowski (1867-1943) has been mentioned. His piano quintet (1890s) is also Franckian, but closer to the source, warm and lyrical, cyclic in form. Dupont's quintet falls between Faure and Debussy in style, not a bad place to be. Blockx, soldily romantic and tuneful, a bit like Dvorak.

The LeFlem may not be long on argument but it is ravishingly beautiful and memorable, close to Ropartz in style.

minacciosa

giles.enders

I would recommend to any one interested  in chamber music to start with Cobbetts.  Looking at Merton Music's current catalogue, I see that they have over sixty piano quintets listed.

Alkan - The reference I have is a Rondo Brillant for piano, 2 violins, viola and cello or double bass.

eschiss1

A list of 100+ composers of piano quintets compiled by Eric Bruskin, me, and others around 1996 can be found linked to here. (Hope the link works; the search terms I used in groups.google.com were piano quintets 102 more ). Possibly nothing there not already here, but have a look?

(I have no idea if Eric Bruskin is related to the violinist of the Claremont Trio.)

Alan Howe

Very good, Eric. Thanks - the link works fine.

X. Trapnel

Has anybody mentioned the Suite Basque for piano quartet by Ropartz copain Charles Bordes?

giles.enders

No!- because we are talking about piano quintets

X. Trapnel

misfired brain synapse; Bordes' work IS for piano quintet.

eschiss1

I'd add-
at least two quintets by Alexandre Cellier (1883-1968, a Guilmant pupil) (the 2nd, in B minor (published 1922), is at Sibley and at IMSLP); Eugene Emile Lacroix's (1858-1950) quintet (@ IMSLP again, published ca.1906, A minor but - not unusually for the date - taking quite some time to settle in that key at first... (indeed the opening had me thinking Scriabin)). I know of no recordings of either offhand. (Actually, Lacroix was born in England, though most of his music may have been, like the quintet, published in France. Hrm. There seems to be a tale there I don't know... BNF has him as French, however, and I'm guessing he moved to France at an early age... in any case he died in Paris January 1950. Also an organist, but a pupil of Gigout.)

Also @ IMSLP is Oscar Vermeire (born Roubaix, 1882-1935)'s Quintette symphonique (pub.ca.1910).

(If Vierne's quintet hasn't been given a thumbs-up/shout-out, I will do so... :) )