News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Requiems

Started by John Hudock, Wednesday 24 February 2010, 01:47

Previous topic - Next topic

gentile

Hi John,

Good to see that the number of suggested Requiems has grown beyond expectations.
By doing a second round of search on my (increasingly chaotic) CD collection, I found a new bunch of Requiem CD's. Some of them have already been mentioned and the others can be found anyway in the "Requiem Survey" webpage. Thus, I will only comment three that I find remarkable:

Franz Xaver SÜSSMAYER (1766-1803)  Requiem (this is a Requiem of his own, different from his completion of Mozart's). A curiosity.

Heinrich SUTERMEISTER (1910-1995) Missa de Requiem (You may like to have this. Sutermeister was a significant composer)

Sergei SLONIMSKY (1932) Requiem (a modern but deeply felt Requiem by a composer of the Soviet era)

I also subscribe the interest of the work by D.E. INGHELBRECHT (better known as a conductor).
Happy hearing!

John Hudock

Thanks again Gentile.

I have a recording of Slonimsky's preludes and fugues which I like.  I am not familiar with Sutermeister's works, I'll give them a try. I'm pretty sure I have a recording of the Sussmayer requiem. I recall it's being coupled with the Salieri piccolo requiem, I'll have to check when I get home. I must've missed it when I compiled my list or maybe I just thought it was the Mozart.

Peter1953

John Hudock

Peter1953,

No I'm not familiar with Herzogenberg's requiem. I do know his Mass from the cpo recording. Is the requiem recording still in print, I had trouble locating a source.

Thanks.

Peter1953

John Hudock

Pengelli

Must admit the whole idea of a Requiem,by the very nature of the term,is a complete turn off to me. No disrespect intended,but I prefer something about life not death. The Berlioz is the only one I can stand,but it doesn't exactly fit here.

Marcus

Hello John Hudock,
Another for your list:
Rudolf Mauersberger (1889-1971)  -Dresdner Requiem - Carus CV 83116
As the name suggests, it was written in memory of the victims of the Dresden bombing in WW2.
I haven't heard it, but I am warming to the idea of buying it.
Marcus.

John Hudock

Thanks Marcus. I had noted that one from looking through the requiemsurvey.org site.

Marcus

Hello John Hudock,
A couple of additions to the "requiem inspired" work list;
1. Bechara El-Khoury (b1957) Requiem pour orchestre op18 1980 20'15" single mvt - Naxos #8.557691
2. Peter-Jan Wagemans (b1952) Requiem for Strings, Piano & Percussion  1992 rev1994 14'01" 3 mvts Donemus Composers' Voice #CV 56
I had a quick search of the web-site, but I may have missed them. They are not in the original list of 2546.
Marcus

Peter1953

John, I've just listened to a radio broadcast of one movement of the Requiem Eternal Light by Howard Goodall (b. 1958). Most unusual, but certainly not unpleasant to hear. View also http://www.eternallightrequiem.com/

John Hudock

Peter,

Thanks. I am familiar with the Goodall, it's on my 'To Buy' list. Goodall is well know for composing the music for several British TV shows (most notably "The Vicar of Dibley" and "Mr. Bean"), almost all choral. He also has several recordings of his choral music both from the TV shows and other. He has also done several TV shows, as presenter, on music. I haven't seen any but would like to.

Hofrat

Here are two requiems I did not see in your listing:

Joseph Martin Kraus (1765-1792):
1.  Requiem in D-minor (BvB 1) performed on 1 November 1775 in Buchen.
2.  Requiem for Joseph II (BvB 3)

I hope this helps.

John Hudock

Thanks Hofrat. I could only find a recording of the first one in D Minor. Do you know if there is a recording of the second.

While looking I came across a Requiem Ebraico by Eric Zeisel paired with a Franz Waxman piece called "The Song of Terezin". It sounds like a very interesting pair of works to add to my buy list. The Zeisl (based on Psalm 92) is listed on the requiemsurvey site along with another "Requiem Concertante" which I could not find a recording of (although there is a second recording of the "Requiem Ebraico" on Bis coupled with Bloch's Baal Shem and a Kol Nidre for chorus & orch by Schoenberg.

Hofrat

The autograph of the Requiem for Joseph II was lost in Erfurt.  We know that it existed because the historian of Erfurt wrote in his journal:

"23 March 1790--The music, a Reqiem by Kraus in Stockholm, was rehearsed."

Until someone finds the score, I doubt if it will ever be recorded.