More Ries Piano Concertos from Naxos

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 27 September 2012, 11:32

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Great news, I had almost given up hope that they would record these. 

eschiss1

it's the last one in the series, I gather, and Badley seemed to think (in my one communication with him) that it would be worth the wait. I expect it will be :)

jasthill

jasthill

Ops Ops Ops - wrong composer! Mea minimus culpa!

eschiss1

That's well worth opening a new thread for- especially after they arrive, and especially if anyone's heard enough of the Chandos complete Hummel concertante CDs to offer a comparison. (Hrm, Brilliant Classics sometimes offers new releases but is often reissues, sometimes from different sources as with their Faure chamber music collection. This seems to be new, though...)

giles.enders

It is a shame that Naxos haven't recorded Ries's Concertino  Wo 88.  I hope that they or someone else will turn their attentions to Carl Czerny or Ludwig Bohner.

jerfilm

I see that Presto has the Volume 5 concertos and it is downloadable for $6.95 USD!   And does not disappoint.
Thank you, New Zealand......

Jerry

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 27 September 2012, 20:38
That's well worth opening a new thread for- especially after they arrive, and especially if anyone's heard enough of the Chandos complete Hummel concertante CDs to offer a comparison. (Hrm, Brilliant Classics sometimes offers new releases but is often reissues, sometimes from different sources as with their Faure chamber music collection. This seems to be new, though...)
Oh, it's new, alright.  Period instruments and all.  Also, Brilliant Classics seems to have the rights to all the old Vox Turnabout/Candide tapes.  As I recall, those Hummel performances were by Martin Galling, and were heavily cut.

Alan Howe

Peter1953

I think most of us paid a few more rupees for the 5 individual discs. For members who are not familiar with Ries's PCs, this is an opportunity not to be missed, I guess...

eschiss1

The Ries concertos I've heard from the series so far sound very good, I hope it will help his reputation.
(Ries and Dussek were about contemporary so I suppose Dussek, whose complete piano concertos have not I think been recorded and perhaps might be, would be nice... I think there's a book or two on the development of the concerto in the early 19th century that discusses these composers and their contributions at at least moderate length- ah yes. Structural Novelty and Tradition in the Early Romantic Piano Concerto, by Stephan D. Lindeman, Pendragon Press, 1999. Does indeed have sections about Ries (biography, analyses of the C-sharp minor and the A minor) and about Jan Dusik/Johann Dussek (at least brief analyses of 7 of his concertos for piano and for harp). Also Cramer, others. I should look for that book...)