Waghalter's Violin Music Released by Naxos

Started by Morris Herzog, Wednesday 03 October 2012, 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Morris Herzog

I downloaded the new Naxos release of Ignatz Waghalter's violin music yesterday after it became available. I have now listened to the recording several times, with steadily mounting enthusiasm. Even taking into account all that happened after 1933 to disrupt the continuity of music, I am still amazed that a composer of Waghalter's evident genius was so completely forgotten. The violin concerto is an amazing work. I really do not know what to compare it to. It is overflowing with profound and brilliantly developed thematic material. The second movement is at once heart breaking and inspiring. The third movement is a joy to listen to. I could go on and on about the other pieces -- the Rhapsody, the Sonata for Violin and Piano and the two short pieces. They are all wonderfully conceived and so poignantly beautiful. I do hope that others will listen to the music and post their comments.

Mark Thomas

I've just finished playing through my downloaded tracks for the first time and echo Morris' enthusiasm. In my case the pieces which struck me most forcibly were the Concerto's slow movement, which is such a heartfelt utterance, and  the Violin Sonata. I'll have some lunch and listen again...

Alan Howe

The VC, it seems to me, is (sort of) a Bruch VC1 for the early 20th century. Thoroughly romantic in spirit, it has wonderful eloquence (slow movement) and excitement a-plenty (finale) - in fact it's surely a very welcome addition to the repertoire. Just shows what's still out there - and given that Toskey doesn't award it a very high 'difficulty rating', you'd think soloists would be queuing up to learn it...

JimL

Does it have a fully developed 1st movement, or is it truncated?

Alan Howe

In that respect the Waghalter is different. I was thinking of scale and a certain sort of open-hearted romanticism.

Alexander Walker

Dear all.  I am new (or really a guest) to the forum and really just popped in to say how delighted I am with the reaction to the new disc of Waghalter's violin music played by the excellent Irmina Trynkos.  I am the conductor in the concerto and the rhapsody and have to say feel the music was a real discovery - this music must have popular appeal as well as being of the highest quality.  There is a lot more music there that I am hoping to explore in the next few years performance and recordings.  I hope to see many of you at Cadogan Hall on 14th November. 

Mark Thomas

Welcome Alexander - I do hope that you don't regard yourself just as a visitor. There's a fount of knowledge here about about many composers as unjustly neglected as Waghalter who, on the evidence of your hugely persuasive recording, certainly has been badly served by posterity. There'll be a least three of us at Cadogan Hall this November and we'll certainly see you - though whether you see us is a different matter!  :)

Alan Howe

Welcome, Alexander. And congratulations on the Waghalter disc! It's just what this forum wants to see - wonderful music rediscovered and performed for a new audience today. A number of us will be there to see you live in London on 14th of next month.

Alexander Walker

Great.  Please come and say hello to us all after the concert.

JimL

Any chance you can talk The Dude into allowing you and your soloist to come to town and take over his crew (the L.A. Phil) for a week?

minacciosa

Thrilled to see the Waghalter cd released, and I'll acquire a copy soon.

C R Lim

On first hearing I'd say the violin concerto brings to mind two other Poles, Karlowicz (in the rhapsodical passages and the transition to the second movement) and Moszkowski himself.

Kudos to all concerned for this excellent addition to the genre.

Morris Herzog

Karlowicz, who died so tragically at a young age, was a wonderful composer. But although Waghalter was born only five years later than Karlowicz, he clearly represents a later musical generation. I am still trying to assimilate the new Waghalter recording intellectually and emotionally. His music reflects an extraordinary range of musical influences that are ultimately blended together in a highly original manner. The violin concerto has a sort of kaleidoscopic character: Waghalter has the amazing ability to translate fleeting impressions of the world as he experienced it into significant melodic ideas. This is the mark of a great composer. As for the CD itself, Irmina Trynkos is clearly a major talent. An astonishing array of emotions find expression in her playing. And Alex Walker must be congratulated for his interpretation of the work. It must be incredibly difficult to accomplish this without being able to reference any other performance of the work. The Cadogan Hall concert promises to be a major event.

Peter1953

I received my copy yesterday. Amazing that this wonderful Violin Concerto has been neglected so long. In fact, amazing that Waghalter has fallen into oblivion. The VC is really a trouvaille. The slow movement is utterly serene and romantic, and while enjoying it, I was a bit shocked (awakened) by the sudden transition into the vivid last movement, which brings the listener into a totally different mood.
The Rhapsody is most lyrical and IMHO cannot have a better advocate than Irmina Trynkos. What a violinist she is!

DennisS

Going by all the comments made of Waghalter's VC and other violin works, I simply had to buy this CD. I've had the CD a couple of days now and have listened to it several times already. I echo the comments made by other members of the forum : the music is absolutely stunning! I too wonder how Waghalter up till now has remained unknown? Surely that will change now!