Early orchestral music by César Franck

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 14 October 2012, 21:45

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

... hrm. Has even Le chasseur maudit fallen out of fashion in concert and recordings in the last two decades? (Ok, most* of the recently released recordings listed on Presto are older recordings, though there is Tingaud on Naxos coming out in -- 2 weeks!... - together with Psyché (ooh, full? version, for choir and orchestra. I wonder if they did a recording of the full Rédemption too before quarantine hit? I only have the brief orchestral excerpt myself) and Les éolides...)

*Not all, though! Several of the recordings listed as issued in the last decade seem to be new ones. Yes, this isn't "early" orchestral music, but you did say "with the exception of the symphony..." and you led me to wondering (in the latest comment, not the original post. That the earliest orchestral works don't get out so often- is not solely a Franckist problem, I think, lovely as I gather some of them are.)

Alan Howe

We're straying off-topic here. As far as I know Ce qu'on entend sur la montagne is Franck's only early purely orchestral work...

FBerwald

Would I be correct in assuming some of César Franck's earlier works are lost. I seem to have read something about an early symphony as well. I'd like to touch on the D minor symphony reg. the orchestration - although I love this symphony and don't find the orchestration lacking probably because its a very somber piece and the composer orchestrated it accordingly; I do understand why many have issues with the orchestration. Chausson's symphony on the other hand is superbly handled and a good example of what Franck's symphony should ideally sound like, but then again Chausson's work is joyful. I imagine if Franck's symphony was orchestrated "colourfully" it would loose the important somber and pathos ridden feel. Just my opinion thought... I could be wrong :)

Alan Howe

May I just interject? If friends wish to discuss Franck's later unsung works, then please do so in a new thread. And I don't think we should get into Franck's Symphony here because it's not unsung - indeed, it has received well in excess of 100 recordings.

jdperdrix

In his book "La véritable histoire de César Franck" (Flammarion, 1955), Léon Vallas mentions two concertos for piano and orchestra (composed 1836/37 Op. 9 and Op. 11, the second one is available on Naxos) and a symphony Op. 13. He adds that a note on the score suggests that it had been executed or at least deciphered by the "Société philharmonique d'Orléans" on February 16, 1841. This seems to imply that the score, or a part of it, should exist somewhere. I've read elsewhere (http://musiqueorguequebec.ca/catal/franck/fraccatc.html) that the key of Op. 13 is G major.

eschiss1

some other early music for piano and orchestra by Franck has been scanned by Gallica - variations sets in manuscript (op.5/CFF 132 " Variations Brillantes // Sur l'Air du Pré aux Clercs // Souvenirs du jeune Age // avec // Accompagnement d'Orchestre. // Composées pour le // Piano Forté // et dédiées à ..... // Par César-Auguste Franck // agé de Onze ans et demi " (in A major)  (piano part only though, I think) ;

"Variations Brillantes // sur // La Ronde Favorite de Gustave III. // Composées pour le Piano & dédiées à // M.r J.B. Teste avocat du Tresor & Deputé du Gard // par // César-Auguste Franck // âgé de 12 ans // Op. 8 [CFF 133, 1834]" (full score in manuscript, also digitized) ;

they also have the concerto op.11 in full score @ BNF should anyone like to read it (while listening to the Naxos recording or otherwise.)

eschiss1

Gareth Vaughan

Quote(piano part only though, I think) ;

That's correct, Eric.

eschiss1

hopefully some other source has the orchestral material :)

FBerwald

Sorry, Alan. Just wanted to put in my defense for this abused symphony. But you are right. its not unsung... so on to the early orchestral works

Alan Howe

No problem. Thanks for your understanding.