News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rabaud Symphony No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 26 October 2012, 10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Henri Rabaud's Symphony No.2 in E minor of 1899-1900 is announced for release in December on the  Timpani label:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/rabaud-henri-symphony-no-2-de-sofia-nicolas-couton-timpani.html

Mark Thomas

Ah, interesting. I see that according to Wikipedia his mantra as a composer was "modernism is the enemy." I've never heard any of his music but I assume from this article of faith, his dates (1873-1949) and this Marco Polo recording of some of his early music an idiom something akin to Saint Saëns maybe? Before hearing the extracts from the Marco Polo recording I was thinking that D'Indy was a more likely comparison, but Rabaud seems to have a very light touch. Anyone able to put more flesh on the bones?

eschiss1

Well, I've heard one work of his, his early string quartet in G minor (@IMSLP. This may be PD-US and CA only, though, indeed likewise everything in the Rabaud category until 2020 or so including the material in the Symphony No.2, Op.5 category). Not sure how it fits in, though I though I'd point it out to add an evidence point anyway.

Hrm. From IMSLP I do see that Symphony 2 Op.5 is in E minor, composed ca. 1899-1900 (ah, you already said, sorry) and published 1900 by Enoch (we have the score here but again since he died less than 70 years ago, - etc. His good fortune is others' poor fortune, I suppose...)

Mykulh

Thanks, Alan, for this important news. Rabaud's 2 Symphonies were always at the top of the list of French symphonies that I hoped to hear one day. Iassume his 1st Symphony will also eventually appear on Timpani, a wonderful label indeed.

Mike

eschiss1

2nd symphony date: Wikipedia-en and IMSLP give 1899-1900, Musicologie.org gives 1896. ??? (Though in the list of works on the _same_ page it then gives 1899-1900. Even more confusing. Wikipedia may get its list of works from that same page, which mentions the symphony no.1 in D minor Opus 1 (1893) - does anyone know if the aforementioned opus 1 was published, still exists, etc. ... I presume it at least exists in abschrift-or-published form if there is a prospect of a recording, but just doublechecking. :) )

bulleid_pacific

I'm slightly surprised Rabaud is quite so unknown - the following EMI disc

http://www.amazon.com/Rabaud-Divertissement-chansons-Procession-nocturne/dp/B000005GPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351351718&sr=8-1&keywords=B000005GPK

was in quite wide circulation.  I love it, although I'm not sure it reflects his true voice very well since one piece is deliberately Russian in the Balakirev mode while another is a dance suite from an opera set in Cairo and is sinewy and oriental in style.  I notice the contents of this disc overlaps significantly with the Marco Polo release.

It's well worth seeking out and there are used copies around for reasonable money.  It's also available as part of a very enjoyable three disc set which combines the contents of four L'Esprit Francais discs and contains music by d'Indy and Pierne, all conducted by Dervaux.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the symphony, which I imagine will be much less programmatic....

alberto

I have both the Marco Polo and the Emi. I have on vinyl two further recordings of "La procession nocturne" : a remote one by Rabaud himself and a '70 fine recording by Armin Jordan and the Monte Carlo Orch (coupled to rare Lekeu and to Chausson Poème).
So "La procession nocturne" (which in remote years was performed more than once in my city) appears to be Rabaud masterwork (and his "hit"). Dating from 1899, it is contemporary to the Second Symphony.
I would locate Rabaud more akin to d'Indy than to Saint-Saens.
BTW the Paris Opera Comique will perform in 2013 "Marouf, savatier du Caire" (there is an aria recorded by Alagna). 

DennisS

I too have the Marco Polo CD that Mark refers to. I bought the CD for the oriental work "Mârouf, Cobbler of Cairo" and am very fond of the piece, listening to it quite often. Initially, I was less keen on listening to the other pieces on the CD, but later realised there was more to them than I had first thought, especially the Procession Nocturne. This piece is generally regarded as one of the composer's finest orchestral works and was inspired after a visit by Rabaud to the Bayreuth Festival. Just as for D'Indy, Wagner had a not inconsiderable influence on Rabaud, according to the liner notes. The work was inspired by an episode in Lenau's Faust. The piece is very beautiful and becomes more and more rewarding on repeated listenings. I await the issue of Rabaud's Symphony no 2 with interest.

sud273

I have listened to the whole new disc, which issued in France about one week ago, and I must say it's a very good surprise. Procession nocturne is as fine as Dervaux and Munch, even better than Mitropoulos. It's great to have it at last in modern sound. The solo violin (Kalina Hristova) is very good, with controled vibrato. The Eglogue was also a discovery for me, gorgeous music from 1895, reminding me of Delius, and anticipating Barber's Fadograph of a yestern scene.

As for the symphony it's a great piece (by the way thanks for the link about the score, although it's hard to follow especially in the last movement): I'm sure d'Indy had an eye on it before writing his own symphony n°2. Ravishing andante, bright scherzo, and the finale is the best with complex writing alternating moods beetwen Saint-Saens (Phaeto) Ibert (Marine symphony) and a Straussian conclusion.
Nicolas Couton seems to be a very promising talent, he has recorded a completed Bruckner ninth before -diffrent from the Rattle completing-, which is seldomly done by french directors (even the 3 movements score )

Somebody asked about symphony 1: never published alas (Rabaud was 18 and hadn't yet entered the conservatory) and the manuscript is lost.

Dr.K

Alan Howe

Well, this is major discovery. Of course, it's all extremely Wagnerian (rather than Straussian), but the composer makes some absolutely stupendous climaxes out of his material as well as weaving some gorgeous melodies - so much so that it's impossible to resist. A wonderful 45-minute late-romantic symphony with an almost Tchaikovskian scherzo - and all very well done indeed by the Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra under Nicolas Couton.

DennisS

I have just received an email from Amazon saying that the Rabaud CD is on its way to me. I can't wait for it to arrive!

semloh

Quote from: DennisS on Saturday 01 December 2012, 17:47
I have just received an email from Amazon saying that the Rabaud CD is on its way to me. I can't wait for it to arrive!

I'm looking forward to your assessment, Dennis, knowing that you will give romantic UCs a fair hearing! ;)

DennisS

I have just listened again to symphony no 2 and I must say that I am very, very impressed by the music. I was expecting the music to sound a little bit like St-Saëns,  Massenet (one of Rabaud's teachers), D'Indy and Wagner and I was not surprised. I was though surprised to hear music that had a touch of Beethoven to it, especially in the first movement : the Beethoven-like fanfares that recur throughout the first movement are striking and the contrast between the dramatic and the lyrical is very well maintained. The almost hymn-like Andante of the second movement has an almost serene grandeur about it and the music is both tender and soothing. The third movement Scherzo is deftly scored and is very bright and joyous. The finale, Allegro/Andante/Largo, at times anguished and dramatic , followed by passages of calm and lyric beauty, effectively ends the symphony in radiant light. I was not surprised to read that the symphony, in its time, won the Prix Monbinne, awarded by the Académie des Beaux-Arts. I have already spoken about the Procession Nocturne earlier in this thread but will say again that this piece is beautiful. The Eglogue, which closes the CD is a delightful work, even though it is just 5:11 in duration. The liner notes suggest that Rabaud may have had Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune in mind, when composing this piece. I can see what he means and  I quote "Rabaud's sinuous oboe melody responds to Debussy's flute". The two pieces clearly complement each other well. This CD is well worth buying and I know I will return to it often.

semloh

Quote from: DennisS on Sunday 09 December 2012, 19:44
I have just listened again to symphony no 2 and I must say that I am very, very impressed by the music. ..............
This CD is well worth buying and I know I will return to it often.

Thanks for that fine, descriptive review, Dennis. It certainly means another addition to my 'wants list'!  ;D