Heinrich Hofmann: Frithjof Symphony and Hungarian Suite

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 07 November 2012, 16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I'm told, but can't yet confirm, that the long-promised recording of Heinrich Hofmann's Frithjof Symphony and his Hungarian Suite has not only been made after all but will shortly be available. Which is seriously good news. I don't know the Suite at all, but it was wildly popular in the 1870s and 80s. The same is true of the Symphony, which I do know from an old Swiss Radio broadcast of the work played by the Basel Radio Orchestra conducted by Hans Vogt. Frithjof may not be the most intellectually demanding listen, but it is a hugely enjoyable programme symphony in a style greatly indebted to Raff, full of grateful melodies and colourfully orchestrated.

Gareth Vaughan

Wow! That's seriously exciting news - at least for me. Roll on, release day!

Alan Howe

mikehopf

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

My copy's already earmarked elsewhere. Great news anyway...

Peter1953

Quite remarkable that this Sterling release isn't announced yet at sterlingcd.com

Alan Howe

Indeed, Peter.
My first port of call has always been Toccata.nu in Sweden. I generally send an email to the boss, Harald Hoff, when I know a Sterling release is imminent. However, it seems that jpc are pretty quick off the mark now that they are Sterling's distributors.

Alan Howe

Peter1953

I'm expecting a few pleasant surprises this year from Santa Claus, and this disc is definitely one of them. Wunderbare Musik!

Alan Howe

The thing is, Peter, does Santa make early visits where you live? Otherwise, it's an awfully long wait until his main delivery date...

Peter1953

Well, Alan, actually I have to be patient anyhow, because 2 of the presents (Santa Claus knows and updates my ever growing want list) will be released on 11 December (Mann & Weingartner 7)... And time flies...  ;D

Mark Thomas

If you are sampling the tracks, the Schauspiel Overture is track 1, the Frithjof Symphony tracks 2-5 and the Hungarian Suite the final three tracks.

Alan Howe

My copy arrived today and the recording of the Frithjof Symphony is very good indeed, showing the work off for the attractive and memorable work that it is. I say 'very good' rather than 'excellent' because the orchestra, while well disciplined, is somewhat light in the string department and unsophisticated in some of the woodwind playing. Frithjof is not a forgotten masterpiece, but it is full of melody and lovely orchestral writing - the sort of piece, in short, that Sterling does extremely well by. An essential purchase for fans of music from this era (1874) and an important reminder of the sort of music that took the concert hall by storm for a time and then disappeared virtually without trace. Thanks once again to Bo Hyttner for his advocacy of this repertoire.