Bluebell Klean - mysterious English composer

Started by Marcus, Saturday 13 March 2010, 11:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

I recently came across an interesting article by English musicologist John France.
In his article on English composer & pianist, M/s Bluebell Klean, Mr France admits that he has been unable to come up with any details of her life, her birth date, her teacher or her death. The name is possibly a pseudonym. She did not attend the RAM or RCM.
He mentions a Piano Concerto in E minor, which was performed at Bournemouth on 13/12/1917, with the composer as solist & the Bournemouth Orchestra conducted by Dan Godfrey.
There is also mention of a Piano Quintet in C minor, performed 15/6/1914 at the Bechstein Hall, & twice at Wigmore Hall, and a Piano Trio in F, and some songs. (open the door, come to me & the water sprite)`
I have searched my library for further deatils, and the extensive library here in Albury, plus google, and cannot find any information about her. A composer & pianist of her undoubted ability would not just disappear into the sunset. She would have moved in musical circles, had family circle of her own, and should at least be mentioned in musical biographies.
Can anybody throw any light on the subject ?
Marcus.

edurban

Hmmm, Bluebell Klean a pseudonym?  Sounds more like a pot scrubbing powder... Maybe one of those aliases we hear about Charlie Stanford using? ;)
David

Gareth Vaughan

I have failed to find any scores by Bluebell Klean. Unfortunately, a regrettably large amount of British music written and performed during and between the wars has, very sadly, disappeared without trace. So much material which was not actually destroyed during the Second World War was subsequently thrown away as "old-fashioned", "outmoded" or "irrelevant" by relations who wished to put the past behind them. It is really most distressing.

chill319

David's suggestion re Stanford is, to me, the most appealing answer to this riddle, all the more so since googling 'Klean' produces few humans aside from Bluebell and very many products. Nevertheless, the vogue for female flower names in the late 19th century ('Daisy', 'Iris', etc) is indisputable; and the Musical Times article opining that Ms. Klean performed 'very capably' is from a Jan 1, 1918 rather than an April 1, 1918 issue. Well, "she" performed with the Bournemouth 'Municipal' Symphony Orchestra. Assuming that was not an 'in' joke in 1918, the records of that orchestra would be informative.

Gareth Vaughan

thalbergmad

There are two published scores in the British Library, but one wonders if they are worth £30 each to obtain copies.

I have already exceeded my yearly British Libary budget, so i will leave them to any millionaires amongst us.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry - I didn't mention the scores in the BL because they are of minor pieces: a song and a "Humoresque" for piano, both published by Weekes & Co., London, in 1917. I haven't seen them, because I have been searching for bigger works, mainly orchestral, which were almost certainly unpublished, existing only in MS. Precious MSS like these easily suffered loss or destruction (either intentional or accidental) - and once gone they are gone forever.

Marcus

Finally some more news re Bluebell Klean :
In a blog on 23/3/10 by musicologist John France, on the "British Classical Music- The Land of Lost Content"web-site, the front page of a program for a concert of her works,dated 15/6/1914, which has a photo of M/s Klean. She is definately "she", and an attractive one at that. The program was supplied by Mr Giles Enders, who I might add, is compiling a list of classical & romantic Piano concertos. His web-site is piano-concertos.org
Cheers!
Marcus.

Amphissa

The photo of Bluebell Klean. As to the attractiveness issue, and the gender for that matter, I'd consider this a matter still to be resolved. For those who wish to cast votes, here is the playbill.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UceseJJzMhs/S6B_uwR0ySI/AAAAAAAAA0M/n-GdKjJx3LU/s1600-h/Klean.jpg

You know, if this post had occurred on April 1, it would have been even more fun. Bluebell Klean and Xenia Beaver. I don't know if the music was worth a damn, but the prospect of turning up a young crossdressing composer going by the name of Bluebell -- that's worth a good chuckle or two.

Marcus

Hello Amphissa,
You obviously know more about this than I do, so would you mind sharing the joke. If it is/was  an April fool joke (first mentioned in 2009),as you suggest, why would anyone bother to distort music history ?When I first read about her, I was disbelieving, but Mr France has continued with six articles since 2009, and no-one has appeared to question the validity of the story.
Bluebell Klean's name first appeared in the Musical Times in 1906 in connection with her Piano Quintet, and has been written up by John France in various articles beginning on 27/8/2009. If this is all a hoax, why would a renowned musicologist bother with such an elaborate hoax ?If "she" is a cross-dresser, who is he/she ? I admit that the names are a little unusual , even suspicious, but jokes aside, what of the Piano Concerto and other works with the documented performances ?And what of the scores mentioned by Gareth Vaughan ? (songs) Perhaps that  is all he/she wrote ! ? I like a good story like anyone else, but I admit that I am intrigued by the possibility of a composerof some reputed talent, has disappeared off the face of the earth.  I will concede that the source of the program photo, Mr Giles Enders, is compiling a list of British piano concertos, and Bluebell  Klean is not mentioned - that is suspicious. I hope some  other musicologists will try to confirm Mr France's sources. If I lived in England I would do it myself.
Has Mr France written any novels lately ?
Marcus

edurban

It is almost with regret that I have come to accept that there actually was a woman named Bluebell Klean, and that she was an enthusiastic composer and angler.  It seemed like such a good joke.  Alas, an online search of The Musical Times does indeed turn up mention of her concerts, including her performance of her E minor piano concerto with the Bournemouth Municipal Orchestra under Dan Godfrey (Dec. 13, 1917.)  The Observer review of her Bechstein Hall concert suggests an enthusiastic, somewhat amateurish figure, who could afford the expense of bringing out her own works.  Dan Godfrey had his bills to pay, like everyone else.

Nor is it very difficult to imagine why the post-war period, with it's drastic change in musical tastes put an end to her efforts.  It hurt the careers of many more prominent composers (York Bowen, for example.)  The only reference Mr. France has so far turned up from the 1920's refers to Miss Klean's talent for competitive fishing, an accomplishment not to be scorned...

David

Amphissa

Marcus, I am not saying this is a hoax. I was merely pointing out what fun it would be to discover that it was a spoof, a bit of entertainment. After all -- a person named Bluebell Klean, who is billed as a composer, can play a bit of piano, and is a competitive fisherman to boot, pictured holding a dog on the playbill, playing in recital, accompanying a soprano named Xenia Beaver. The British have a great sense of humor, which includes a long tradition of comedy involving men in drag.

Yes, I know, we must be very serious here. The prospect of an unsung being unearthed, a new piano quintet or song being dusted off. Yes, such discoveries are good.

But I could not help but imagine a Monty Pythonesque sort of team, guys in drag, with a Dudley Moore at the keyboard, dog in lap, accompanying an Eric Idle, perhaps also holding a dog, warbling art songs, and a quintet featuring the whole crew (Jones, Palin, Cleese, Graham) in drag, sawing away on stringed instruments, with lap dogs as well. All to the utter delight of the well-heeled audience on a fine summer evening.

I'm not suggesting that is fact. I'm just sharing a fanciful interpretation based on the humorous names, the picture, and the very sketchy facts about our heroine, Bluebell.

JimL

Gents, the double entendre in the name Xenia Beaver is not lost on me.  Is there a similar joke in the name Bluebell Klean that escapes me?

edurban

Btw, there's nothing imaginary about the contralto who sang on Miss Klean's programme, Mme. Ada Crossely.  She was a real singer, and a prominent Australian one at that:

http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A080176b.htm

David

Marcus

Yes Jim, Amphissa and others : the prospect of a duo of Klean/Beaver is one for Monty Python, but I think this thread will not advance much further until more facts are unearthed. It is a pity that John France is not a member of this forum. I have tried to find an email address for him without success.
At least a photo, presuming it is genuine, should be identified by someone eventually, be it a relative or musicologist. I have searched my books for the few photos of 19th century female composers, and while some resemble this photo,  nothing is identical. I am guessing from the photo that the lady is aprox.30+, meaning born in the 1880's. As  photography in those days was not as prolific as today, hopefully someone will identify this photo, so at least that will help prove whether Bluebell Klean  did exist.
Speaking of British humour - my favourite was Spike Milligan & co - and as my father was born in Birmingham, and mother Irish, I  do have the British humour genes., and you will hear me laugh from here if Bluebell is proven to be an elaborate hoax.
Marcus.