d'Erlanger Concerto Symphonique

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 08 January 2013, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...is to be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on Tuesday 15th January at 16.00. The performers are Victor Sangiorgio (piano) with the BBC Concert Orchestra under Johannes Wildner. Looks like a probable future Dutton release to me (Sangiorgio recorded the Godard PCs for them).

jerfilm

Will someone be recording this, just in case Dutton doesn't??

J

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

JimL

I hope they provide the movement information on the broadcast!

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

One of the branches of the British Library (St. Pancras) has the 2nd edition (1925?) of the Schott reduced score (first pub.1921) (Concerto symphonique pour piano et orchestra. (La partie d'orchestre réduite pour un second piano) ... Seconde édition. [Score.]) (The Library of Congress, RAM (1956? might be 3rd edition...), and U. Colorado Boulder also have copies of one or another version of this, I think.) While it may cost a lot to get a photocopy made, maybe there's some other solution that would result in one's having the desired information (movement headers...) ?

thalbergmad

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 09 January 2013, 18:49
While it may cost a lot to get a photocopy made, maybe there's some other solution that would result in one's having the desired information (movement headers...) ?

Sometimes it is worth asking me as in my loft I have 62 crisp boxes full of piano concerto scores and the d'Erlanger is in my "E" box. Movements are:

I - Maestoso
II - Scherzo
III - Moderato assai
IV - Moderato ma appassionato

Concertingly,

Thal

JimL

Thanks!  Does the Scherzo have a tempo indication?

thalbergmad

thalbergmad

A pleasant half hour listening to this.

Powerful, dramatic, melodic and 100% tonal. Perhaps not the highest of craft, but well worth a 2nd listen.

Looking forward to a commercial release.

Thal

Mark Thomas

I agree, a very engaging piece, rather strongly influenced by Rachmaninov, but none the worse for that. If you liked his Violin Concerto, then you'll love this too. I have now uploaded it to the Downloads board here.

Thal, I have had to guess where the third/fourth movement break is as they are played attacca. Could you check if my guess is correct, please, and let me know if it isn't?  Ta.

JimL

Mark Thomas

If I knew, I'd have included it in my post. Perhaps Thal can help.

Richard Moss

Mark,

Many tks for the impressive 'speed of upload' service.  Look forward  to downloading/listening tomorrow.

Best wishes

Richard