Unsung Monumental Symphonies

Started by Peter1953, Wednesday 17 March 2010, 20:47

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

Monumental brings to mind a work where there is a steady , even heady, series of climaxes of mood or melody. To that end I offer the following not unnoticed, but not often sung:

Kalinnikov Symphony No.1 in G minor
Rott Symphony in E

I could probably make the case for one or more symphonies of Tcherepnin, but would need to re-listen to them.

eschiss1

hrm. that sounds like a very good part of the definition, though I'd add if I might the very subjective (and why not??) -- idea? --- that a monumental symphony should select itself (to you, if not to every listener) as being about something important, having something important "to say", in some not purely musical sense (though not - necessarily anyway - in some programmatic, obvious, etc. way; Prokofiev's 5th may be more about the war than his 6th I suppose but the 6th isn't less monumental for it.)

Doesn't have to be _especially_ long to do that by any means and not loud or hugely orchestrated necessarily either- the how always depends on the what, I should think. :) Eric

chill319

If they are not beyond the stylistic purview of this site, I would nominate the second and third symphonies of Enescu as both unsung and monumental. Likewise the second and third symphonies of Furtwangler. Sound like a broken record, I know. But these works bring me deep pleasure.

minacciosa

This is all necessarily subjective, but also fun. For me monumental means content, not length.

Schmidt: 4th Symphony
Bax: Symphonies 2, 5, 6
Marx: Eine Herbstsinfonie
Korngold: Symphony in F#
Dohnanyi: Symphony No.2
Flagello: Symphony No.1
Enesco: Symphony No.3
Weigl: Symphonies 2, 5, 6
Myaskovsky: Symphonies 6, 10, 22, 25
Paul Creston: Symphony No.2
Tubin: Symphony No.2

No doubt there are more, but I've just not heard them yet. There are some I need to explore right away, such as Braga Santos. THe point is that the "sung" greats don't have a monopoly upon greatness. In most cases I believe they've had the golden combination of great ability realized along with good timing (exposure) and minimal political interference.

X. Trapnel

Re Ceescendo's post from 2 years back (how did I miss this?). Could anyone tell me about the other recording of Marx's Autumn Symphony and whether it is still available?

kyjo

X. Trapnel, here is the URL leading to a website where you can download Swierczewski's performance of Marx's Autumn Symphony (wonderful piece):
http://www.micmacmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=659&osCsid=d461f7ecbf12ed9b2998645690c5245a
I assume this the the "other recording" you are referring to, but just in case, there is another, more widely available, performance of the piece by Botstein that you can download. It's rather strange that there are two downloadable versions of the symphony but no CDs. BTW, the Botstein performance is 58 minutes and the Swierczewski is 73! I like the Swierczewski a little better because he takes time to wallow in the score's many overpoweringly voluptuous moments. I hope this answers your question :)!

X. Trapnel

Thank you, Kyjo! I heard Botstein perform the Autumn Symphony in NY and was overwhelmed by it, but since I've found so many Botstein performances to be rather dull (where comparisons are possible) I have been hoping for another version. Marx is my favorite unsung. Maybe someday the Nordland Rhapsody...

edurban

Just goes to show how different we all are.  I was praying for death during that ASO performance of the Autumn Symphony.  At the slower tempo and 73 minutes :o I'm not sure I would have made it...

Glad someone enjoyed it, though.

David

kyjo

Glad I helped you, X. Trapnel ;D! I would have loved to have been at the Botstein performance, I'm sure I would have been overwhelmed by it. And yes, the Nordland Rhapsody is Marx's only unrecorded orchestral work- I'd love to hear it! And someone (Brilliant Classics?) seriously needs to reissue Sloanes three Marx CDs on ASV. You can't find a decently priced copy of any of these CDs anywhere >:(! Tangentically (sorry!), but has anyone heard the CD of Marx's huge, nearly hour-long violin sonata in a major? Is it the longest violin sonata ever written (well, there's a solo violin sonata by Allgen(?) that occupies 2CDs!)? Only Furtwangler's two sonatas come close to it ;D ;D!

Alan Howe

Keeping to the topic in hand...

kyjo

Sorry, Alan. I might open up another thread about Marx :).

Alan Howe

Do check there's not already one running...

X. Trapnel

Kyjo, thanks for the info, and yes the Marx (MONUMENTAL, and therefore on topic) violin sonata is magnificent, inspired from first to last. I think the Pavane cd is still easily available. The same musicians recorded the second sonata, but alas it has never been released.

Alan Howe

Quote from: X. Trapnel on Monday 06 August 2012, 19:56
...the Marx (MONUMENTAL, and therefore on topic) violin sonata...

It's OFF-TOPIC! It's not a symphony! If you want to discuss it - and you're welcome to, of course - then please start a new thread.

X. Trapnel

Sorry. Any opinions on the very monumental Shcherbachev Second Symphony? I've been having trouble with I-Tunes downloads, and so have not yet heard the Botstein performance without monumental gaps of silence. From what I've heard the style is very difficult to contextualize in terms of late romantic Russian symphonism.