News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Four Movement Solo Concertos

Started by Peter1953, Thursday 14 February 2013, 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

I don't think the Scharwenka No. 4 was conceived as a 'genuine' four-movement work. The Hyperion tracks are a bit deceptive, in that regard. Neither the complete nor the reduced score at IMSLP give a separate movement number to the Allegro con fuoco, and the 3rd/'4th' movement is played attacca, anyway.

Ilja

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Tuesday 19 February 2013, 21:36
Huber actually wrote 4 piano concertos.

I stand corrected. The fourth appears to have been a four-movement work, too.

JimL

Quote from: Ilja on Thursday 21 February 2013, 15:57
I don't think the Scharwenka No. 4 was conceived as a 'genuine' four-movement work. The Hyperion tracks are a bit deceptive, in that regard. Neither the complete nor the reduced score at IMSLP give a separate movement number to the Allegro con fuoco, and the 3rd/'4th' movement is played attacca, anyway.
Structurally, however a strong argument can be made that it is indeed a 4 movement work.  The Lento, mesto is a tonally and thematically discrete section in C-sharp minor/D-flat Major that is too substantial (and formally self-contained) to be an introductory passage (à la Beethoven's Waldstein Sonata), and the transition to the finale proper is very much a cross between Beethoven's Emperor (semitone drop to the dominant) and Schumann's (reminiscence of the first movement) concertos.

jerfilm

The Komitas Violin Concerto is in 4.   If he counts as romantic......

J

minacciosa

Both of Ernö Dohnanyi's Violin Concertos have four movements. Let's head off criticism of their relative status of being unsung or not. Though the composer hardly counts as unsung (though his major works are still woefully underexposed), his Violin Concertos are decidedly unsung despite a couple of extant recordings. I do believe they could be popular if given frequent airings, but with things the way they are today it's nearly impossible for any new work to receive the kind of exposure necessary to become unsung or a repertory work.

Alan Howe

Good nominations. Thanks! Love VC1 in particular, reminiscences of Salomé and all...

eschiss1

I'm still curious what the earliest "post-classical" one might have been, though the opening posts in the thread may have tentatively settled that question (barring new information, etc., etc. ...)

Gauk

I will put in a word for the rather remarkable Violin Concerto by August Klughardt (composed 1895). The extra movement is a very short quasi recitativo linking the first movement with the slow movement. At around three minutes, it could be considered a bridging passage rather than a movement, but it is quite dramatic, and plays an important part in the structure of the whole work. The first movement is as long as the last two combined, and introduces a "Fate motif" which recurs throughout the work. Just as it seems the movement is over, there is a jarring chord and this short andante arrives, dominated by the Fate motif, which then plays an important role in the last two movements.

Very interesting piece - stylistically, I would say somewhere between Raff and Weingartner.

Mark Thomas

Yes, a very fine piece indeed, Gauk. One of Klughardt's most imaginative and satisfying compositions.

alberto

No longer bound to the early-romantic limit, I would suggest Moszkowsky PC , Stenhammar PC 1, Dubois PC 2.
Violin Concertos: Lalo Concerto Russe, Arensky Concerto, Godard Concerto Romantique. 

FBerwald

Both the Piano Concertos of Godard are in 4 movements. Astonishingly beautiful works.... I guess since Dutton has beaten them to it Hyperion will no longer record them.. I wouldn't have minded a duplicate of this one!

eschiss1

They don't seem to mind a -little- duplication (Dubois upcoming CD, Widor, and also Mendelssohn, etc.)

thalbergmad

Quote from: alberto on Tuesday 09 April 2013, 10:04
I would suggest Moszkowsky PC , Stenhammar PC 1, Dubois PC 2.

The Moszkowski Op.6 is also 4 movements.

Thal

JimL

Quote from: alberto on Tuesday 09 April 2013, 10:04
No longer bound to the early-romantic limit, I would suggest Moszkowsky PC , Stenhammar PC 1, Dubois PC 2.
Violin Concertos: Lalo Concerto Russe, Arensky Concerto, Godard Concerto Romantique.
Stenhammar's PC 2 is also in 4 movements.  I tend to think of the Arensky as one movement in 4 sections.  It is basically a single sonata/concerto structure with an Andante and Waltz sandwiched between the exposition/development and the reprise.

Gauk

There is also the 1907 Piano Concerto by Ysaÿe. I have found two performances of this lush romantic work on Youtube, one of which is incomplete and extremely poor quality, but the other is listenable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eHXRCuHtyQ

Maybe something Hyperion should consider?