Horneman String Quartets

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 15 February 2013, 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Due out in March is a new CD from Dacapo featuring the two string quartets of Christain Hornemann (1840-1905). Slightly more details from  jpc here. It should be worth a punt. Audio extracts from an earlier Dacapo CD of the Second Quartet (in a different performance) can be heard here.

petershott@btinternet.com

Thanks Mark. Most definitely worth a punt! The existing Dacapo disc where the 2nd St Qt is paired with Kuhlau's A minor St Qt played by the Copenhagen Quartet is a gem, so all the more reason to buy the new disc and acquire a different performance and discover the other Horneman St Qt.

The image on the link shows the disc also contains a St Qt of Asger Hamerik. You don't mention that in your post, and I trust there's no censorship going on here for Hamerik is - in my view - a wonderful composer. Strangely a Hamerik St Qt isn't mentioned anywhere in the link or on jpc. Hope I'm not looking at the image and experiencing a hallucination!

And do forgive the ex-teacher in me for correcting your 'Hornemann' to 'Horneman'.

Alan Howe

The jpc entry adds this: +Hermik: Allegro energico aus dem "Quartetto"...
...by which they mean: Hamerik (not Hermik) Allegro energico from the "Quartetto", whatever that is...

eschiss1

... Hamerik: Asger, Ebbe, or another?

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

petershott@btinternet.com wrote:
QuoteAnd do forgive the ex-teacher in me for correcting your 'Hornemann' to 'Horneman'
Forgive? Most certainly! Forget? ....... ;)