Ten (unsung) Romantic Piano Concertos to hear before you die

Started by bulleid_pacific, Tuesday 19 March 2013, 00:43

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Quote from: giles.enders on Thursday 21 March 2013, 11:45
The problem I have with all three Medtner concertos is that he seems to be affraid to display emotion.  To my ear, they seem to be over controlled, he never lets rip.  I like the Romantic concertos where there is a bit of excitement. I wonder what would have happened to him if Rachmaninov had not been so supportive.

The problem you face could be because you look at Medtner's music as the poor man's Rachmaninov [as someone once said!]. Medtner's musical idiom is completely different from Rachmaninov's. To compare them would be like starting a toxic discussion like "Who is better - Mozart or Haydn". While Rachmaninov's music has a heart on the sleeve quality, Medtner is more intospective. The next time you listen to Medtner's concertos try to not find Rachmaninovian overtones. [Medtner needs no apology...]. You WILL be vastly rewarded!  :)

Alan Howe

That's a very good corrective - and one can generalise from it to argue that, tempting though it is to view a less well-known composer in terms of a better-known one, the result is to begin listening to the former with expectations that cannot be met instead of taking him on his own terms. 

thalbergmad

Quote from: Gauk on Friday 22 March 2013, 21:18

8. Busoni's
Reason: First choral piano concerto

I feel Steibelt and Herz rather got there first.

Thal

Gauk

Quote from: thalbergmad on Saturday 23 March 2013, 15:10

I stand corrected - but one could still include Busoni for its sheer scale.

JimL

Quote from: Gauk on Saturday 23 March 2013, 17:01
Quote from: thalbergmad on Saturday 23 March 2013, 15:10

I stand corrected - but one could still include Busoni for its sheer scale.
OK.  First REALLY BIG choral piano concerto.

Mark Thomas

Raff may have called his Die Tageszeiten of 1877 a Concertante, but it is well over 40 minutes long, employs a piano, orchestra and chorus throughout and the piano part itself is much more than merely concertante. I'm not sure where "big" shades into "really big", but I'd say that Raff's piece is a contender...

redrobin62

I think Harty's Piano Concerto in Bm is worth its weight in gold, especially the 3rd movement, Con brio e vivace. I almost hate comparing it but it has an expansiveness and explosiveness that reminds me of Rachmaninov's 2nd.

Gauk

Incidentally, any nominations for the most difficult solo part in a non-standard-repertoire romantic concerto?

Gareth Vaughan

Well, the Henselt is jolly difficult - and difficult in ways which are not always apparent as difficult to the listener.  Busoni's PC is extremely taxing.  Rubinstein 5 is no breeze either.

Incidentally, Mark knows that I agree with him wholeheartedly about Raff's Die Tageszeiten.

FBerwald

Marx - Romantisches Klavierkonzert.

PS: Not about difficulty.. but I have a soft spot for the Thuille Piano concerto. 

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

Quote from: Gauk on Sunday 24 March 2013, 22:13
Incidentally, any nominations for the most difficult solo part in a non-standard-repertoire romantic concerto?

Oleg Marshev, who has a large amount of romantic piano concertos under his belt said the most difficult was the Schytte.

Thal

FBerwald

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 25 March 2013, 07:57
Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 25 March 2013, 07:48
...but I have a soft spot for the Thuille Piano concerto.

Can you tell us why?

Because it is gorgeous! A sort of Schumann mixed with Brahms feel. Although the finale could be played a  bit faster [just a personal opinion!] just like I prefer Parry's Piano Concerto 1st movement to be played faster than on the existing record!

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteOleg Marshev, who has a large amount of romantic piano concertos under his belt said the most difficult was the Schytte.

That I can believe. It certainly sounds a tough cookie.

thalbergmad

Huge thanks to mjkFendrich for pointing me in the direction of a recording of the Nikisch Piano Concerto. I will be amazed if I hear a better work this year.

A thoroughly morbid and melancholy work with only a brief glimpse of daylight before returning to darkness. Even the scherzo was depressing, but this is fascinating music. A touch of the Spellbound concerto mixed with a bit of Bloch.

Thal