News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Piano Phantoms

Started by Rob H, Tuesday 09 April 2013, 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

http://www.mdt.co.uk/lewin-michael-piano-phantoms-sono-luminus.html

This is an interesting looking compilation of goblins. Even after 35 years of collecting rare piano music I will have many new works here. The Tausig and Liapunov will be the only ones I have in multiple recordings and there are composers here I've not heard of - Troyer, Kaski, Florence Price. Really nice to have a piece by Julie Rive-King; I'm not aware of any other recordings of her music or transcriptions - of course I'm very happy if someone can correct me on that score!
Rob

eschiss1

Rive-King's (Rivé-King?) biography is interesting as are the pieces I've found so far...

TerraEpon

That does look like a very interesting collection...

thalbergmad

What a novel idea. I suspect there are many "firsts" there.

I used to wonder why the Tausig Ghostship was not played more regularly. Then I spent 2 months trying and failing to play it.

Thal

JimL

Quote from: thalbergmad on Tuesday 09 April 2013, 20:09
What a novel idea. I suspect there are many "firsts" there.

I used to wonder why the Tausig Ghostship was not played more regularly. Then I spent 2 months trying and failing to play it.

Thal
Another Islamey?

thalbergmad

Islamey is a fair chunk easier in my opinion. It seems to have a reputation as an extremely difficult warhorse, but those who are of that opinion probably have not encountered Tausig.

The Ghostship really is for pianists of the top rank and the Halka variations for the Gods only.

Really looking forward to this CD. Will be nice to experience some Rive-King who's transcriptions look challenging.

Thal

Jonathan

Agreed Thal, I too have worked on both Islamey and Geisterschiff and find Islamey simpler as a whole.  Some sections of Geisterchiff are not too bad (notably the last section in D major which just requires large stretches) but overall it really should be reserved for a superior race of pianists!

The CD does sound interesting, I shall have to invest...

Gareth Vaughan

The Halka Fantasy is an amazing work. I wish we had a good modern recording of it. I wonder if Marc-Andre Hamelin would oblige!

thalbergmad

Mr Hamelin certainly has the fingers, but I am no longer convinced with his interpretations of the romantics as I once was.

Unfortunately de Waal, Wild, Rachmaninoff and Moiseiwitsch, who all made stunning Tausig recordings, left the Halka alone, so we are left with the Ponti. Someone like Oleg Marshev would probably do it justice.

The Brazilian pianist Artur Cimirro was involved in a "complete" Tausig project a couple of years ago, but I don't know if much has happened since.

Thal

Gauk

Quote from: thalbergmad on Wednesday 10 April 2013, 16:46
Islamey is a fair chunk easier in my opinion. It seems to have a reputation as an extremely difficult warhorse, but those who are of that opinion probably have not encountered Tausig.

That is so true!

Rob H

When I have a bit of time I can post a live Halka fantasy by Robert Cavallo if anyone is interested. I got it from a posting at pianophilia.com.
May not be till tomorrow.
Rob

Rob H

Whoops, meant Roberto Capello.

thalbergmad

That would be very well received I am sure.

Thal

kolaboy

Quote from: hammyplay on Thursday 11 April 2013, 16:29
When I have a bit of time I can post a live Halka fantasy by Robert Cavallo if anyone is interested. I got it from a posting at pianophilia.com.
May not be till tomorrow.
Rob

It would be much appreciated :)

Rob H

I've posted the file of Halka - there's also a couple of other goodies there.
Rob