News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cyril Scott from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 17 April 2013, 18:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Scott went considerably further than Scriabin, developing a form of quirky modernism which I find extremely unattractive.

eschiss1

Scriabin doesn't get discussed much at all in this forum, that I notice. Outside the remit or not much of interest to forumgoers? (Hrm. Well, I could always start a new thread. Come to think of it, while I'm not feeling too belliqueux, I've always been a bit fier. So... :) )

Gauk

I'm not surprised at Alan (or anyone else) not liking late Scott; I am surprised at Alan liking late Scriabin  ;)

In the case of Scott, I strongly suspect that what makes him "quirky" is not the chromaticism, but the unstable rhythm and shifting pulse, which I can understand is liable to sound disorienting. The irony is that Scott's early music, at the time, was considered too modern, while his middle and late period works were considered too conservative. Some people just can't win!

Alan Howe

Quote from: Gauk on Tuesday 30 April 2013, 22:58
I'm not surprised at Alan (or anyone else) not liking late Scott; I am surprised at Alan liking late Scriabin  ;)

I don't.

Gauk

Then my original comparison is valid!

petershott@btinternet.com

Actually, as a matter of logic, the 'validity' of the comparison doesn't follow at all from the fact that the unfortunate Alan doesn't like Scott! Some muddled thinking here. No matter.

Alan Howe

Quite so. I count myself fortunate to dislike both late Scott (which I find simply strange) and late Scriabin (which I find mind-numbingly chromatic).

As an aside, I am wondering whether it is the obsession with the occult which both composers shared that affects their music in ways I find distasteful. Just a passing thought.

Jimfin

I can't even say what it is with Scott: I've tried and tried, but he leaves no impression on my mind. In theory, he is the kind of composer I think I would like, ie, late romantic pushing on modernist, but I find myself with no desire to listen again for a while, which means that the next time I do, I have completely forgotten the work.

DennisS

Have now listened again to Scott's symphony no 1 several times. I was not originally impressed by the music as I found it rather bland and felt that it meandered somewhat.  Listenening again, I now find the music quite pleasant, with some nice tunes and attractive orchestration, even though I still think the music is a little lightweight. I will listen again from time to time.

Jimfin

I've usually enjoyed the Violin Concerto when I've bothered to listen to Scott. Today I did too. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying these early pieces.

Gauk

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Wednesday 01 May 2013, 08:21
Actually, as a matter of logic, the 'validity' of the comparison doesn't follow at all from the fact that the unfortunate Alan doesn't like Scott! Some muddled thinking here. No matter.

The point was merely that both composers started off as orthodox late romantics and then became more experimental as time went by, so that their late works are difficult listening without a bit of effort. I took Alan as saying or implying that only Scott became a quirky modernist, because he went "considerably further than Scriabin" - which I think is debatable, but not here. Evidently both went outside Alan's comfort zone, so which went further is a moot point.

Alan Howe

For me the question is whether late Scott is worth further effort on my part. I have decided that I have better things to spend my time on...

chill319

Scott the quartalist is, I believe, the only composer my mother ever asked me to stop playing in her presence. That said, the more I study Scott's motivic compositional techniques the more I understand Debussy's respect for him. And I think his early unnumbered piano sonata and Symphony 1 are most enjoyable -- ardently youthful pieces of real merit. I can't wait to hear this disc.

eschiss1

Did she have a similar reaction to Alois Haba? Just asking...

chill319

Actually, her reaction to Haba was even stronger. But then, she thought I said I was going to play Abba. I calmed her down with a Habanera.