News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jacob Blumenthal

Started by mikehopf, Saturday 08 June 2013, 07:19

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Just acquired on the Maguelone label a Grand Trio in Fm Op.26 by Jacob Blumenthal whose biography is more than interesting:

Jacques Blumenthal (4 October 1829 – 17 May 1908) was a German pianist and composer. Born in Hamburg, he began his musical studies at an early age, receiving instruction from Friedrich Wilhelm Grund, Carl Maria von Bocklet, and Simon Sechter. In 1846 he entered the Conservatoire de Paris, where he studied the piano under the tutelage of Henri Herz and Fromental Halévy.[1]

In 1848 Blumenthal settled in London, where he became the pianist to Queen Victoria. The position contributed to his demand as a teacher in London society, and he prospered greatly. Blumenthal also composed a number of works; his short piano pieces and songs achieved considerable popularity, though his efforts at larger pieces did not meet with similar success. He died at his home in Chelsea in May 1908; his widow, Léonie Souvoroff Blumenthal, née Gore, assigned the copyrights of his music to the Royal Society of Musicians

Although not mentioned in Groves, I did find a reference in an old copy of Reimann's to a Jacob Blumenthal
who is described as " an excellent pianist".

The CD also features works by Pasdeloup and Saint-Saens as well as Jules Cohen ( of whom I can find nothing).

Well recommended!

Mark Thomas

Thanks Mike. Never heard of Blumenthal. Does the booklet give a date for the Piano Trio? I'm downloading it now from ClassicsOnline but they don't include the booklet. From IMSLP I see that his Op.23 was first published in 1853, and his Op.29 in 1854, so I guess that it comes from about then.

semloh

He is certainly in the 1900 ed. of Grove - it largely says what you have already noted, Mike:

BLUMENTHAL, JACOB, born at Hamburg Oct. 4, 1829, pupil of F. W. Grund there, and of C. M. von Bocklet and Sechter in Vienna. Hig
proficiency in pianoforte playing was attained under Herz at the Conservatoire in Paris, which he entered in 1846. In 1848 he took up his
residence in London, where be became pianist to the Queen, and a very fashionable teacher. As a composer he is known for a large number of
brilliant, effective, and pretty pianoforte pieces, and for many songs, some of which, such as ' The Message,' have become widely and justly popular. Besides his residence in London, Blumenthal has now a house at Montreux. [A. M.]

Brown's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians (1886) has:

BLUMENTHAL (Jacob). German comp. and pianist, B. Hamburg, Oct. 4, 1829. S. under Sechter, Grund, and Bocklet. S. at Paris Cons, from 1846
under Halevy. Settled in London, 1848, as pianist and piano teacher. Presently residing there.
Works.—Trio for Pf., violin, and 'cello, op. 26. Pianoforte: Op. i. La Source, caprice ; op. 2. Two Caprices ; op. 3. Three Melodies ; op. 4. Fete
Cosaque, caprice ; op. 5. Three Mazurkas ; op. 7. Fantasia ; op. 8. Les deux Anges ; op. 10. Two Nocturnes; op. 11. Caprice; op. 14. Ballade;
op. 15. Reverie-Nocturne; op. 16. Fantasia; op. 17. Two Marches; op.18. Fantasia; op. 19. Nocturne-Impromptu; op. 20. Three Mazurkas; op. 21. Three Pieces; op. 27. March; op. 28. Third Nocturne; op. 30. Elegie ; op. 31. Tyrolienne ; op. 33. L'Exaltation ; op. 34. Chanson; op. 36. Fantasia; op. 37. Souvenir; op. 38. Nocturne; op. 39. La Caressante ; op. 40. Barcarolle; op. 41. Rondo-Galop; op. 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48. Morceaux de Salon, various; Le Parfum, op. 60; op. 66. Nocturne; op. 69. Adagio Sostenute ; op. 73. Chant Religieux ; op. 81. L'Appasionata ; Valses and Salon pieces innumerable. Songs.....
Unfortunately, no dates.

Was your "Jacques" rather than "Jacob" an accident, Mike?

mikehopf

No accident! A search on Google will come up with Jacques rather than Jacob.

He lived in Paris like his better known contemporary, Offenbach, who also became Jacques.

Clearly, they're alright, Jacques!

Co-incidentally, Jules Cohen ( also represented on the CD) was known as Jose-Maria Cohen.

semloh

Alan Howe

Trouble is, only pre-international-fame-Peter Sellers fans will understand the reference. I suspect our US cousins will be left somewhat cold...

eschiss1

well, any excuse to explore the ... pre-Pantherial? - inside-Cousteau-regions? - is a good excuse.

Gauk

Well, the phrase has passed into the language now, and is recognised by people who never saw the origin of it.

Alan Howe

It's passed into the language here, but not internationally. Here are two explanatory links for our US friends:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_All_Right_Jack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sellers

mikehopf

Apparently, the phrase predates the 1959 film by several years:

I'm all right Jack!

(originally: "F*ck you, Jack, I'm all right!!" - described the bitter dismay of sailors ("jacks") returning home after wartime in the Navy to find themselves not treated as patriots or heroes, but ignored / sneered at by a selfish, complacent, get-ahead society - phrase was subsequently toned down for acceptable general use.)
Attitude of "every man for himself, survival of the fittest, devil take the hindmost", ... but also, that all the possible advantages (however gained), success (however won) and satisfaction (whatever the cost to others) belong to me first!" Narrow-focus, narrow-gauge pseudo-Darwinian selfishness glorified as a sensible philosophy of society and life.
People who find it hard to say "I'm all right Jack!" outright, say to anyone they find no longer useful: "I'm trying to get my life in order right now, so can you respect that, please?!..." (just before they throw themselves laughing into more fun and merry chaos!)

petershott@btinternet.com

I enjoyed reminding myself of the film by reading the plot summary in the Wiki article (thanks, Alan). Marvellous actors, and the whole thing hilariously funny. The film has indeed become so ingrained in British culture that any cultural history of Britain in the late 50s / early 60s would be incomplete without some reference to it.

But, oh dear, I do suspect our friends in the US (and elsewhere) will think the British are quite beyond mere eccentricity and perhaps have plunged into sheer lunacy! Let us assure them that things aren't quite....well....that bad.

In the meantime, back to music!

eschiss1

at least, until we find a composer whose uncle's name is Robert. Agreed!

Autographs of two songs of his are at Accademia Nazionale di S. Cecilia, Bibliomediateca, Roma. (RISM though they get his dates 1829-1908 right still estimate the date of the autograph to "Autograph: 1740-1760 (18.me)", in the other case "1700-1724". May I borrow their time machine? Anyways.)

mikehopf

In 1942, during a recital at the White House, Samuel Barber was repeatedly asked for an encore.

Not many people know that!

eschiss1

jerfilm

The Blumenthal Trio is also available as a download from Amazon US and can be separated from the rest of the miscellany on the album for US$3.96.   Bargain, I think.

Jerry