News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The odd one out round

Started by Gauk, Monday 17 June 2013, 11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauk

To lighten your Monday, here is a little puzzle not unrelated to the topic of this site:

Musically speaking, which is the odd one out?

• London
  • Oxford
  • Cambridge
  • Norwich

Answer at the weekend if no-one guesses, but I'm sure someone will work it out quickly.

Alan Howe

Oxford is the odd one out: Symphony No.92 by Haydn.
The three others are titles of symphonies by British composers: VW2 (London); Parry 2 (Cambridge), Edward German 2 (Norwich).

Or: Haydn's is the only symphony which is not his no.2.

TerraEpon

Haydn also wrote one nicknamed London, however (No. 104).

Alan Howe

True enough. Any more possibilities?

Gauk

Between Alan and eschiss1 (by message) it is solved. To be complete:

London, Cambridge and Norwich all have romantic 2nd symphonies by British composers named after them. Oxford has a classical 92nd symphony by an Austrian!

Gauk

Postscript: how many other places in Britain have symphonies named after them? Röntgen's Edinburgh symphony has recently been mentioned. What others?

eschiss1

Cotswolds (Holst) ; Scotland as a whole (Mendelssohn) ; Ireland (several composers) ...

petershott@btinternet.com

Nottingham (Alan Bush in 1949), but never, so far as I am aware, either Ipswich or Stoke-on-Trent.

eschiss1

Again somewhat later on there is indeed a "Cheltenham symphony" for youth orchestra, by Henry Williams.

Ilja

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 18 June 2013, 00:53
Cotswolds (Holst) ; Scotland as a whole (Mendelssohn) ; Ireland (several composers) ...

Cornelis Dopper's Second Symphony is also nicknamed the 'Scottish'.

semloh

Gosh, this has got me thinking.

One of my old favourites is the Symphony No.3 'Westmorland' by Armstrong Gibbs - unless you mean cities/towns, in which case how about Daniel Mason's Symphony No.3 - 'Lincoln';D

eschiss1

I think that's not meant to refer to the city/town, judging from the subtitles. :D

Gauk

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 18 June 2013, 15:50
I think that's not meant to refer to the city/town, judging from the subtitles. :D

LOL, as they say ...

The above posts include all the ones I was thinking of. But we have two "Scottish" symphonies, several "Irish", and there is an "English" by Parry. Is there no "Welsh" symphony by anyone? What an indictment!

Also - it occurs to me that quite often symphonies are named after cities, but not often concertos. So perhaps Howard Blake's "Leeds" VC should also be mentioned here.

eschiss1

perhaps less recent than the Blake, I'd think Rodrigo's best known work, which is named after a town, also comes to mind :)

Didn't Cowen write a Welsh symphony? Trying to recall.

eschiss1

Easy question btw  - (at a guess) what city in the USA (in the 20th century) (probably) has had the most symphonies and concertos dedicated to it/mention it in its title?