News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The odd one out round

Started by Gauk, Monday 17 June 2013, 11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 18 June 2013, 22:22
what city in the USA (in the 20th century)

I'll allow this question, but let's keep quizzes relevant to UC, please.

Gauk

It would be Louisville, I guess.

TerraEpon

(bah, forum eating my post)
I'd guess New York, especially with other subtitles relating to it (Big Apple, etc)

How about the first symphony to be named after a fictional character? I have my guess (and very relevant to UC) but we'll see.

Gauk

Quote from: TerraEpon on Wednesday 19 June 2013, 07:14
How about the first symphony to be named after a fictional character? I have my guess (and very relevant to UC) but we'll see.

As the question stands, the answer is certainly to be found in the pre-romantic era, since all the gods and heroes of classical myth and legend are fictional characters. So works like Dittersdorf's "Fall of Phaeton" symphony would qualify.

eschiss1

Hrm. I was thinking Louisville... anyway. Fictional but not "mythological", and Romantic-era? Either one of the works associated with Faust or Dante (e.g. Liszt or Pacini's symphonies thereon), or earlier still...

Alan Howe

Haydn Symphony 43 (1771) "Mercury"? Actually - it may not count, as the title seems to date from the 19th C.

eschiss1

That would beat the Dittersdorf by a decade even if so... but I'm sure one could go even further back...

Alan Howe

I'm sure the answer lies way before UC's period, but any more offers?

JimL

Dittersdorf would be a good bet.  He was actually a pioneering figure in many ways, whose contributions to music are just starting to be recognized and still waaaaaaaaaay underappreciated.

eschiss1

However! Pichl's Diana and similar symphonies were published in the late 1760s... predating Haydn's 43rd symphony (whatever the provenance of its nickname) and predating Dittersdorf's 1781 Metamorphoses symphonies as well. (Pichl also "beats out" Mozart in composing one of the first string trios to use a viola I think- not sure... - not that his is remotely comparable to Mozart's K.563 "Divertimento" (I think- I'm not sure if I have or haven't seen/heard Pichl's trio, yet, though the Mozart work is a hard work to be anywhere near comparable to.)

Alan Howe

Well done, Eric. Any more contenders?

JimL

I don't mind topics addressing issues outside of the remit of this forum in the pre- rather than post- direction, provided they are entirely relevant to subjects within the remit of this forum, such as symphonies with extra-musical associations.  Tracing historical precedents is an entirely appropriate subject of discussion.

Alan Howe

It's OK provided that the law of infinite regression doesn't assert itself...

semloh

Well, you all beat me hands down.... as far as romantic symphonies go, all I could think of was Gliere's Ilya Murometz::)

Gareth Vaughan

Going back to symphonies titled after places, specifically places in the UK and specifically by British composers, I think we should not overlook Stanley Wilson's "Skye" Symphony which won a Carnegie Trust Award in 1927 - and deserves a revival.  (There is also McEwen's "Solway" Symphony, which has been recorded.)