Vaughan Williams: The Solent

Started by Mark Thomas, Monday 24 June 2013, 17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

In the Downloads board now is an interesting and atmospheric early work by Vaughan Williams. The Solent of 1903 is the second of four pieces which together made up In the New Forest, Four Impressions, which appears to be a substantial orchestral suite. I haven't been able to establish whether the other three pieces still actually exist, but if they do then the complete work is an appetising prospect, judging by this fine 13 minute movement. The Solent, for those not familar with the geography of southern England, is the body of water between the Isle of Wight and the mainland in the Southampton/Portsmouth area.

Walford Davies' Symphony No.2 will follow shortly, once I get a couple of hours to sort out the recording.

Mark Thomas

Ahh, now I see that the only one of the three companion pieces to The Solent from In the New Forest to survive is the first, Burley Heath, and that only as a 168 bar fragment. A performing version has been published by OUP (who have published The Solent), which finishes it by repeating the opening material. It lasts only about 4½ minutes.

John H White

This sounds a bit close to home for me on the Island Mark: I shall need to investigate your download further! :)

JeremyMHolmes

Many thanks for both downloads Mark, as I missed the broadcast, and am thrilled to be able to listen to these two premieres.

semloh

Quote from: Savoir_Faire on Tuesday 25 June 2013, 19:19
Many thanks for both downloads Mark ....... I ....  am thrilled to be able to listen to these two premieres.

Me too! I've been on holiday up in the far North of Queensland, and now there are so many interesting posts to catch up on, and the downloads are just a joy. Thank you, indeed.  :) :)

JollyRoger