Ippolitov-Ivanov: Symphony no. 1 in E minor

Started by LateRomantic75, Saturday 20 July 2013, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI discovered the existence of the disc through ArkivMusic.

Where it has been available for years as an Arkiv re-release after the original was deleted.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

sdtom

I'm more than satisfied with the recording I have so I doubt I'll ever pursue the Conifer recording. I even found the "Turkish Fragments" reading to compare favorably with the newer Naxos recording from 1997.
Tom

Gareth Vaughan

Eric, I reckon that catalogue entry is a mistake.  As far as I am aware, Marco Polo never issued LPs (please correct me if I'm wrong). The date of issue of the CD was 1994 - so 1984 could easily be a typo.  I think it's a question of: "You just can't get the staff nowadays!"

eschiss1

Actually, looking it up, it seems it wouldn't have been the first case (not hardly!!) that Marco Polo CDs were remasterings of HNH LPs. Marco Polo never issued an LP, but HNH certainly did.

sdtom

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 29 July 2013, 22:37
Actually, looking it up, it seems it wouldn't have been the first case (not hardly!!) that Marco Polo CDs were remasterings of HNH LPs. Marco Polo never issued an LP, but HNH certainly did.
I agree with you on this one. An HNH digital release on LP in 1984 was very possible and having the CD released 5 years later makes sense. The label indicates DDD.
Tom

jerry.buszek

I have a copy of Ippolitov-Ivanov's Symphony No. 1 that was issued by HK-Marco Polo in 1984 on album no. 6.220217. I too hope more of his music would be issued on cd. There also is a recording of this Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, Op. 37 on CBS issued a few years ago.

Mark Thomas

I was sure that I had at least a couple of Marco Polo LPs. Rubinstein's Violin Concerto rings a bell...

sdtom

Quote from: jerry.buszek on Tuesday 30 July 2013, 04:07
I have a copy of Ippolitov-Ivanov's Symphony No. 1 that was issued by HK-Marco Polo in 1984 on album no. 6.220217. I too hope more of his music would be issued on cd. There also is a recording of this Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, Op. 37 on CBS issued a few years ago.

I say that the information we came up with is a team effort. And I agree with you Jerry that more of his material should be released.
Tom

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteActually, looking it up, it seems it wouldn't have been the first case (not hardly!!) that Marco Polo CDs were remasterings of HNH LPs. Marco Polo never issued an LP, but HNH certainly did.

You are dead right, Eric. I've just done some homework. Apologies for doubting you.

khorovod

I have several Marco Polo Lps in my vinyl collection.

eschiss1

sdtom

http://www.amazon.com/music/dp/B0000045S2

For those of you who are interested the Marco Polo is available thru Amazon.
Tom :)

sdtom