Bloch Symphony in C sharp minor etc. from Naxos

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 30 July 2013, 20:59

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

Excellent news! Bloch's is one heck of a late-romantic symphony; reminding me in sheer scale and over-the-top Straussian drama of Respighi's (also early) Sinfonia drammatica, but I find the Bloch a better piece that is more gripping than Respighi's sprawling affair. It is hardly ground-breakingly original or indicative of his later style, but who cares! The LSO will work wonders with this piece, no doubt :)

Mark Thomas

This is a fine symphony which deserves to be better known. Very good news.

Alan Howe

Tom writes:

Another new Naxos release that fits the mold of the unsung even though it was written at the turn of the century is this symphony which I took an instant liking to. It certainly has the roots of Bruckner and Strauss. Another fine work to be explored.
http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=1913418
Tom

chill319

It's pre-ordered. (pant pant) Meanwhile, anyone who likes opulent and dramatic early 20th-century music in the Straussian vein (yet quite original) is likely to enjoy the Trois Poèmes Juifs from 1912-13, a work I value as much as Ravel's much better known Daphnis et Chloë.

eschiss1

Seconding those 3 Poems - I have a really good older (remastered) Vanguard recording (coupled with the violin concerto and some Bartók on CD) - one of them was written in memory of Bloch's father, yes?

DennisS

I have once again changed my opinion of a particular work, thanks to UC. Quite some time ago, I purchased the Bloch Symphony in C sharp minor - The Stephen Gunzenhauser Slovak Philharmonic version on the Marco Polo label. Like some other CDs I have bought, I listened to this work once ot twice and decided I was not very keen on the music. Because of the comments on UC, I got out the Marco Polo disc and listened to the symphony again and then again ( I listened to it again this morning!). Surprise, surprise - I was quite taken with the music! Clearly, there are times when I don't give a piece of music my undivided attention. This was even more of a surprise, considering that Bloch's symphony at times shows the influence of Strauss, Mahler and Bruckner,  all composers I very much like! I have since listened to sound bites of the new Naxos disc and was impressed by the quality of the recording. I don't often buy another copy of a work when I have a good recording already, but do so occasionally when something new about the work is offered : i.e. different tempi, better sound recording, better orchestra etc. In this instance, I am buying the new Naxos CD because I want to hear the LSO version. I am particularly intrigued by the timings of the movements, especially in the first movement : the timing for this movement is 16:15 by the Slovak Philharmonic and 22:03 by the LSO, i.e. almost a full 6 minutes longer!!! I am wondering whether the Slovaks cut the movement? In any case, it will be fascinating to hear the LSO version. I am looking forward to receiving my copy of the Naxos CD shortly.

eschiss1

let's not leave out the BIS recording, where the first movement is 19:46. 22:03 sounds a bit long- or maybe a first movement repeat is taken, or a cut expanded out... ... ? The overall timings of the BIS and Naxos recordings of the symphony are pretty similar though.

sdtom

I've not heard the BIS recording but I've heard the Slovak offering and I much prefer the reading from the London Symphony. When you listen you can definitely hear the influence that Strauss, Bruckner, and Mahler had on him.
Tom

sdtom

I'm working on a review of the material for Naxos.
Tom

Alan Howe

chill319

Dalia Atlas (Sternberg) has already proven herself, in my book, as an inspired interpreter of Bloch with her recordings of the Israel Symphony and the Symphony in E-flat, among other things. I have no advance reservations about 22:03 as I believe it will likely prove to be an organic outgrowth of the music that lies behind the notes in the score.

Alan Howe

This is a really self-indulgent score in many ways. It's thoroughly enjoyable as a hyper-Straussian, almost Scriabinesque symphonic wallow, but, my goodness, there are longueurs in it. So, for me not a masterpiece, but nevertheless a must-buy. And don't the LSO appear to enjoy themselves! I hope the brass section had a rest afterwards...

Mark Thomas

In many ways it's a typical youthful symphony with it's self-importance and passion, Yes it's certainly self indulgent, but there's nothing wrong with whipped cream on top of your ice cream from time to time. I love it.

mbhaub

Yesterday, I had the time to wallow in Bloch's symphony with the new Naxos. After three listenings, one with score in hand, I must say that of the three versions available, this one goes right to the top. It's obvious that the conductor spent a lot of time studying this complicated score. Yes, the first movement is longer than other recordings, and the main thrust of the movement is taken slow than her two rivals. But what a payoff! You hear orchestral details that are unheard in the Marco Polo or just whiz by in BIS because the faster tempos don't allow the scoring to be heard. Some might prefer the greater energy of the BIS, but great music can stand up to a lot of interpretive license, and Atlas brings out so many beautiful things that it works. But don't think she's really slow or anything, just not as propulsive as the others. Where she does take her time is the beautiful, even ominous close of the first movement. Tremendously effective here. I thing it's gripping.
The second movement is taking, surprisingly, a bit quicker than the others. The third movement about the same. The last movement is terrifically exciting.
The playing of the LSO is stunning (as I would expect), although the Malmo group plays like demons, too. But between conductor, LSO, and the recording engineers you hear things like never before, such as the harp and some great flute riffs.
Since that Marco Polo recording a couple of decades back, I've always believed this is a great score that deserves to be heard more. In a concert world obsessed with Mahler, this would fit right in. But I won't hold my breath. Great job, Naxos!