d'Albert Symphonic Prologue to the Opera 'Tiefland'

Started by sdtom, Tuesday 13 August 2013, 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/symphonic-prologue-to-the-opera-tieflanddalbert/

New to me I found this work to be very satisfying to my ear. I enjoyed the oriental references and the influence that Debussy had on this work. It is completely different from his symphony in f which I've listened to but yet to give some serious time to it. That work is quite influenced by Brahms.
Tom

sdtom

Is anyone else on the forum familiar with this work?
Tom

eschiss1

The prolog and opera have been recorded a few times, and I've downloaded the vocal score, but I can't say yes yet, unfortunately. Will try to change that soon.

sdtom

We can certainly say that 'unsung' is an understatement
Tom

Revilod

I know the Prelude to the opera and the opera itself. Great stuff. I also know "Die Toten Augen", "Der Golem" and "Die Abreise". All very different works. "Die Toten Augen" in particular is close to being a masterpiece. It is completely indelible melodically. D'Albert, like Massenet, was one of those operatic composers, it seems, who was able to adapt his style quite considerably to suit the nature of the material he was working with. He had a very wide range. In his concert music, as you say,  the splendid Symphony is very Brahmsian while the Second Piano Concerto clearly shows the influence of Liszt.

If I had to choose one, D'Albert would be my favourite unsung.

Gareth Vaughan

I agree wholly. D'Albert is a much underrated composer, particularly in the field of opera. The 4 you mention which are, I think, the only ones so far recorded are truly splendid and each one different.

Alan Howe

He's by no means my favourite unsung, but I appreciate the rich mix of his music. Brahms obviously looms large in his early music, Liszt can be heard in the piano writing in his two PCs, and then there is sort of exotic Straussian verismo to be found in his operas. Ultimately I don't think any of his music quite scales the heights, but I'm often pleasantly surprised at how good his stuff is. A composer well worth pursuing.

Jonathan

Gareth Vaughan

Richard Strauss is certainly present in d'Albert's operas, but there are, not surprisingly, subtle differences in his harmonic and melodic language. Die Toten Augen is particularly Straussian, I think, while there seems to be a more expressionist cast about Der Golem. Parts of Die Abreise are almost like G. & S. but there is also a glorious tune which could be from a Strauss song. In Tiefland I hear more of Wagner. But this doesn't mean d'Albert's music is just a ragbag of reminiscences of other musical styles - it's the problem with trying to give people an idea of the music by references to mainstream composers they may know.

Revilod

Parts of "Die Abreise" are almost like G. & S.

Hardly surprising considering he studied with Sullivan and is said to have composed the Overture to "Patience". The list of d'Albert's operas is so enticing and so varied.  Even jazz influenced d'Albert ("The Black Orchid") I believe.

BerlinExpat

QuoteEven jazz influenced d'Albert ("The Black Orchid") I believe.

This is very true, Revilod. "The Black Orchid" is another wonderful d'Albert opera that was produced in Augsburg in 2003. A recording was available at the time from www.theater.augsburg.de but I don't know if it's still available. The set has no number I'm afraid.

The connection to Sullivan is born out in Charlotte Pangels' biography in which it states that Sullivan set  the instrumentation of his operas as exercises for d'Albert. Unfortunately Pangels doesn't state which operas he's supposed to have orchestrated. As d'Albert joined the National Training School for Music in 1874 (Pangels) or 1876 (Wikipedia) it would seem that the operas to come in question would have been Trial by Jury (1875), The Sorcerer (1877) or even H.M.S. Pinafore (1878). I guess Patience (1881) would be possible before he moved on to Vienna in that year.

sdtom

As I stated in my review I heard references to the style of Debussy along with the oriental mysticism and Wagner.
Tom

chill319

I got to know the work through an old Eurodisc LP with the leads sung by Rudolf Schock, Isabell Strauss, and Ernst Krukowski, the "pit" featuring the Berlin Symphony under Hans Zanotelli. At the time, it was easier for me to hear echoes of Wagner and the Strauss of Guntram than of Debussy in the score. That was fine with me since Wagner's operas have been one of the peaks of my musical education. On the other hand, I immediately found Sibelius's Luonnatar, not to mention Bloch's Macbeth, more memorable. I've never been haunted by the d'Albert, no doubt partly because of accidental factors unrelated to the score.

sdtom

I think it is amazing what each of hear in this particular work. It is one that I'll revisit often.
Tom

Richard Moss

For lovers of this operatic work in full and prompted by this thread, I checked on e-music for the Prologue (which I found and shall download soon).  However, the reason for this post is that I also found the whole of the opera was available there for just over a pound, via three tracks at 42 pence each!!  Just sometimes, their charging policy of 42 pence per track works out quite well!

Cheers

Richard