Traumgesicht by Erkki Melartin

Started by anssik, Monday 04 November 2013, 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...and a superb video it is too. And what a piece - kind of Sibelius by way of early Bax (think Tintagel). It's certainly the most immediately impressive work that I've heard by Melartin. Wonderful.

Alan Howe

OK, I think I know great music when I hear it. This is Melartin's greatest orchestral work - by far - and a masterpiece of the first order. My discovery of 2013. Thanks so much to those of you who have been working so hard to publicise it here.

More background on the work can be found here:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/hjp/Preface_Traumgesicht.pdf

chill319

Many thanks for the download, mjkFendrich!

DennisS

I thank you also mjkFendrich for the download!

eschiss1

DennisS

Have just listened again to this piece and am very impressed - a wonderful piece with masterful orchestration. The music builds up gradually, at times intensely lyrical and at other times quite dramatic,  finishing with a serene close, which comes all too quickly : a sure sign of great music when the listener is left wanting more! I too have all the symphonies, plus the superb violin concerto which I have already commented on in a previous thread. I do hope this work will appear soon commercially!

semloh

My sincere thanks, mjkFendrich, for making this symphonic poem by Melartin available to us.  :)

To my ears it's an impressive piece, sweeping me along from its gentle opening through the increasingly dramatic sections toward a resounding finale. Surely, this is as fine as similar works by the sung composers - Rimsky-K, Glazunov, etc?