Reyer's Sigurd broadcast today

Started by scottevan, Saturday 16 November 2013, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Once heard, there's very little point in seeking out other, much less well sung recordings. The Rosenthal is unlikely ever to be bettered - there simply aren't the French singers around today. Of course, the set ought to be officially reissued; meanwhile do get the Premiereopera version of the same performance. It's out of this world.

Mark Thomas

.. and I have it on order. Thanks Alan and Colin.

BerlinExpat

Alan, I have a copy of the 1973 Rosenthal performance but I don't know where it originated and the first part is spoiled by atmospheric interference. I suspect it was a radio broadcast. Can I order Premièreopera's CDs knowing that they are free of interference?

Alan Howe

Yes: there's no problem like that with the PremiereOpera recording.

BerlinExpat

Many thanks, Alan. I'll now order the Premiereopera set and bin the old ones when the new ones arrive!

Alan Howe

It wouldn't surprise me if the PremiereOpera recording proved identical in every way with the published, but now unavailable set I gave details of earlier in this thread.

adriano

My set is the recently digitally remastered LEGACY 3-CD issue (cat. Nr. LDC 278917-9) - it sounds great!

Mark Thomas

I have recently received my copy of Rosenthal's 1973 recording of Sigurd from Premiere Opera Italy, and I must say that it is everything which Alan said it would be. Superb, idiomatic performances, a good atmospheric recording and a (relative) absence of cuts all show off Reyer's fascinating and compelling score in the best possible light. Bravo!