The slowly rising fortunes of Elgar in Italy.

Started by alberto, Monday 18 November 2013, 10:50

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Last week in my city Torino I have heard "Enigma Variations" conducted by Nicolaj Znaider; on the last September I had heard (once again) "Nimrod" performed as an encore by Y.Temirkanov and the St.Petersburg Phil. I think I have heard "Enigma" in its integrality some ten times (albeit in many years).
Randomly looking, I see that Barenboim will soon conduct "Falstaff" at La Scala, and that the mezzo Daniela Barcellona will sing "Sea pictures" in Trieste .
(BTW the last week I heard in my city, with another "domestic" orchestra Walton First Symphony, conducted by Y.Sado). 

Alan Howe

Good news for our Italian friends - and for the standing of Elgar overall.

Jimfin

I wonder if 'In the South' would go down well, being inspired by Italy. It could become as popular as Mendelssohn's Scottish symphony is in the UK!

alberto

In my city I heard in actual concerts "In the South" three times. One with Muti and the Filarmonica della Scala (who recorded the work and conducted it in many tourneès in the world).
After Enigma, the Elgar work more often performed not in Torino, or in Italy, but "in the continent" is by far  the Cello Concerto.
Indeed I have heard in actual concerts (but in a long span of years) also both the Symphonies (the first more than once), the violin concerto (twice), "Falstaff", "Cockaigne", "The Dream of Gerontius", "Pomp and Circumstance n.1", even one of the suites "The Wand of Youth".

eschiss1

do the works he wrote in Italy fare better or worse, proportionately to their number and overall popularity in his output, to those written outside? :D

(1st symphony at least in part, the Op.53 partsongs (including There is Sweet Music , and Owls "An Epitaph") and "Reveille" (Op.54, part song TTBB after Bret Harte) in December 1907 in Rome, etc... (or In the South/Alassio which was at least inspired by one of those trips.)

Jimfin

I think the violin concerto was written largely or partly in Italy, also "Great is the Lord"

alberto

Randomly looking again, I see that Jeffrey Tate will soon conduct Elgar "Enigma Var." in Venice and in Cagliari (BTW in the latter alongside Vaughan Williams Serenade to Music).
Sian Edwards will conduct "Enigma Var." in Palermo, alongside Delius "The Walk to the Paradise Garden" and even Coleridge-Taylor orchestral Ballade.
Going out of Italy, I see that at the very rich Luzern Festival Andris Nelsons and the City of Birmingham S.O. will perform Elgar Symphony n.2 (30th August).

eschiss1

Very tangentially - re great English/British music travelling?... - may I quickly insert that I see that Harnoncourt is conducting Purcell's Fairy Queen next week (five times) in Graz, Austria? (Apologies...) (As to Elgar, Bachtrack.com lists thousands? of concerts with his music in the next 12 months, apparently all over the map even just tomorrow (Kyoto, Brussels, Würzburg, Chicago...))