BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rubinstein - La Russie

Started by semloh, Saturday 07 December 2013, 23:26

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: Peter1953 on Thursday 12 December 2013, 16:54
... but I'll rest my case.

Pity!  We both agree that it is enjoyable, Peter, but we differ in that you presumably see some overall logic that lifts it above pot-pourri status (?)

Mark Thomas

I suspect that Peter is disagreeing with the overall view which some of us have that Rubinstein is a flawed composer, but I'm sure that he can speak for himself.

eschiss1

presumably meaning "more than usually" flawed :)

Mark Thomas

I really don't want to reopen the pro/anti Rubinstein debate but, lest I be accused of slyly Rubinstein-bashing by proxy, I had better just say that there is a lot of Rubinstein's music which I actively enjoy and believe has real, lasting merit: the piano concertos and the Konzertstück, the Demon, the chamber music with piano and many of the piano works. I called him "flawed" because I don't think he could write as successfully for more disciplined genres, such as the symphony, as he could for looser ones, or those which involved the piano.

Alan Howe

I'll back Mark up on his analysis. That's why I couldn't ever elevate Rubinstein to the ranks of the best unsung composers such as Raff, Draeseke or Rufinatscha.

sdtom

I think that he tried to do too much. Composer, teacher, concert pianist who took world tours.
Tom

eschiss1

Liszt did even more, but had more genius, in my opinion (while realizing he could do more if he settled in one place, at least if that was really a major reason he settled in Weimar instead of continuing his hectic concert life, as seems a reasonable guess...)

JimL

I still find the final two Rubinstein symphonies to be minor masterworks - if not precisely rigorously constructed they at least don't overstay their welcomes.

Peter1953

I've just listened to The Third. I don't know a more exciting, well-constructed 3rd with such impressive and memorable themes in all four movements. La Russie is indeed a potpourri of captivating melodies, but this marvellous symphony is of another dimension. Just great.

Alan Howe

I'll take Raff 3 or Draeseke 3 over Rubinstein 3 any day. However, we're in danger of going off-topic here....

britishcomposer

For those of you who like to compare different recordings I have uploaded an old German radio broadcast of Rubinstein's Don Quixote. Horst Neumann's take is quite energetic, the fastest I know.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, always good to have an alternative.

LateRomantic75

Apart from his Symphony no. 5 (one of his most Slavic-sounding works), and his magnificent Piano Concerto no. 5, Rubinstein is not a composer who I have been too impressed by. I'll listen to La Russie and report back with my thoughts!

TerraEpon

Listening to this again, I find it quite engaging, even if it's indeed somewhat of a potpurri. It even seems to toss Kol Nidrei in there of all things. It seems there's no commercial recording though...

Mark Thomas

I imagine that "Kol Nidrei" is there as a nod to towards the substantial Jewish minority in Russia, from which Rubinstein himself originally came, of course.  I also spotted "God Save the Tsar" and "O Tannenbaum" in the mix. There must be many other such quotes which I didn't get - anybody else able to prise some more out of the pot pourri?