Hyperion RPC 63 Albéniz & Granados

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 24 December 2013, 15:21

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Hyperion has announced Vol. 62 of its Romantic Piano Concerto series for April 2014 release...

The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 62 – Albéniz & Granados
Melani Mestre (piano), BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Martyn Brabbins (conductor)

Sounds very promising. .... finally Spain!

Alan Howe

I assume it'll be vol.63, as 62 is the Gounod release. Any more details, please?

Mark Thomas

I see that there is a Grandos Piano Concerto, which has apparently recently been rediscovered and completed (see a previous thread here), and there are two Piano Concertos by Albéniz: the First, which I remember as being quite a fine piece, has been recorded at least once before (by Guzmán on Auvidis), and the second is "unfinished".

Mark Thomas

Jonathan

Looks like another must buy - but Hyperion's website says April 2015 release...i assume this is a typo!

LateRomantic75

Excellent news!!! I have been longing to hear the Granados and I already know the Albeniz, which is a fantastic (its subtitle is quite fitting ;)) work. I wonder what has become of Albeniz's incomplete PC no. 2 in E-flat?

TerraEpon

The Albeniz PC has a few recordings actually....not sure how many but Arkiv lists three.
Plus there's of course the Rapsodia Espagnola with like three or four different orchestrations out there -- and doing a bit of search-fu, it's on there. No PC 2 though.

eschiss1

According to "Isaac Albéniz: Portrait of a Romantic", the first concerto was composed in short score 1886-7 and orchestrated by (Tomas, I assume) Breton, who also orchestrated the Spanish Rhapsody.  Footnote: "He began work on a second piano concerto at this time, but only got as far as the secondary theme group in the first movement. The manuscript is a two-piano reduction dated Broadstairs August 1892 and is now in the BC, M985." (Clark, p.84.)

TerraEpon

LateRomantic75

Thanks for the info on Albeniz's PC 2, Eric! I won't get my hopes up, but methinks a realization is not entirely impossible, considering what has been accomplished recently in this field.....

Gounod21

I have a recording of what i think is the first concerto of Albeniz; very early work,; by, I think, Felicja Blumenthal. Is on Vox Turnabout LP.Steve

giles.enders

Whilst I understand why Hyperion have recorded the Albeniz, I wish they had recorded the piano concerto by Emilio Serrano Y Ruiz in G major composed in 1904. One of his operas was championed by Placido Domingo several years ago and if the concerto is as good a quality, then it is worth hearing.

eschiss1

Wikipedia mentions a symphony (... intriguing, by the way), string quartet (also!- I like Breton's...), but not a piano concerto (and I see none mentioned among his publications on Worldcat, but maybe the Spanish National Library, not exactly "covered" by Worldcat- and which has this terrific digital scanning project which they deserve many congrats for- has musical materials for it.) I wonder if it was published? Anyhow, sorry. Yes. Offtopic but - the fellow may well deserve his own thread*; he looks interesting. Thank you for bringing him to my attention... (I thought it should be Serraño but after I undid that newbie mistake of mine and spelled it as you did, yep, found info on him.)

*I admit that that, by itself, is not saying much, considering ... oh, hush, Eric. Just meant to say he really does seem interesting, based on what I see so far, that's all. Anyhow.  ... Cheers and happy New Year's Eve- Eric out... (for now)

giles.enders

We can also look forward to some Brazilian piano concertos in the series played by Artur Pizarro