News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Felix Draeseke

Started by albion, Tuesday 18 May 2010, 07:54

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 17 May 2010, 22:44
Now Draeseke is one of the greatest unsungs...

Have you tried looking here....?
http://www.draeseke.org/
Thanks for the link to another great site! I'm now contemplating the CPO symphony series and am also intrigued by 5-cds-worth of Christus:

http://www.bayermusicgroup.de/kat16/artnr20/10,5,br10017579.htm

Would these be positive recommendations?

Alan Howe

Christus, despite some magnificent passages, is definitely not the place to start, being pretty turgid on the whole. However, you can start just about anywhere else...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search?fastsearch=draeseke&rubric=classic&pd_orderby=score

albion

I think that the three CPO discs containing the four symphonies will prove to be just too tempting - I'm afraid that chamber and solo instrumental music generally doesn't hold very much appeal to me. I suspected that Christus might be one of those vast canvases where ambition outruns inspiration - five discs worth of it would probably be taking a 'dutiful' listening approach too far! There are some very interesting reviews on the Draeseke site and it is laudable that different opinions are included, for example on the 3rd Symphony:

"Clara Schumann's complaint that Brahms's First Symphony suffered from excessive "working out" is well deserved in considering Draeseke. Essentially what we have here is an attempt at brilliant, masterful thematic development of musical ideas that, for all their complexity, are of limited, or even negligible interest." (Victor Carr, Classics Today)

"the orchestration of the post-Schubertian scherzo, for instance, (finely played here), has more akin to the Russians, while the trio is a lovely rural, semi-ländlerish dance. The unusually vital and increasingly dark-hued finale which grows out of mysterious lower-string beginnings is arguably the finest movement, again wearing its Wagnerian operatic colours openly, and culminating in an inspired, unexpected apotheosis." (Roderic Dunnett, Music & Vision)

Generally, the responses to Draeseke have obviously been very positive - I think the only course of action is for me to go ahead and give those discs a spin.

Amphissa

I have tried repeatedly over the past couple of years to figure out the appeal of Draeseke, but just cannot warm up to his music. I guess I have to agree with Carr. To me, his music just seems to be very masterful working of impotent musical ideas. I've found nothing in his symphonies that captivates, charms, intrigues or wows me. I often wonder if Draeseke appeals more to those who can appreciate his music intellectually, analytically, more than I am able.

Alan Howe

Draeseke is composer with a powerful intellect, of that there is no doubt. But the idea that his ideas are impotent is quite the opposite of the truth: try the glorious orchestral flood of the trio of Draeseke 3's scherzo - positively unforgettable, glorious. And then there is the wonderful, inspired melody of the opening of the VC - not to mention the superb arch of melody which opens the Stelzner Quintet. Only the very great composers can compose such themes and sustain them - and Draeseke's works are littered with them.

petershott@btinternet.com

Agreed! And try the stunning Piano Sonata. Impotent? Tosh!

Warm regards,

Peter

eschiss1

I'd start with the chamber music (in another similarity with Rufinatscha perhaps, much of the chamber music is available only on the Draeseke Society of America label, of limited distribution- though possibly Records International still distributes them); it took me, at least, much longer to warm to the symphonies and the concerto than to the string quintets, viola alta sonatas, and cello sonata (those three discs are especially good, I would say).

Eric (have only heard the 4th symphony Comica once, I think)

wunderkind

Does anyone know if this Draeseke Society is functioning?

Over two weeks ago I ordered one of their CDs (Stelzner Quintet et al) and have heard nothing.  My check has not been deposited.  I sent them a follow-up email, but have had no reply whatsoever.

Alan Howe

The Draeseke Society is run by Dr Alan H. Krueck; my guess is that he is currently in Germany for the annual conference, so you may have to be prepared for a bit of a wait. If nothing has happened within a week or so, do let me know and I will enquire on your behalf...

wunderkind

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 05 June 2010, 14:07
The Draeseke Society is run by Dr Alan H. Krueck; my guess is that he is currently in Germany for the annual conference, so you may have to be prepared for a bit of a wait. If nothing has happened within a week or so, do let me know and I will enquire on your behalf...

Many thanks for your offered assistance.  I certainly will contact you, if needs be.

Amphissa

I've yet to hear the Violin Concerto and was not aware it had been recorded. And I've not heard the Piano Trio. However, having listened *again* to Symphonies 1-4, String Quartets 1-3, the Piano Concerto, and assorted shorter works, I've still not found any avenue to actually enjoying this music. Perhaps in some future year I'll return to Draeseke and suddenly "get it". It has happened before. But for now, Draeseke just doesn't do anything for me.

chill319

Thank goodness people respond in different ways, have different tastes. I'm sure you'll agress there's no right or wrong here, Amphissa.  For me appreciation of (as opposed to respect for)  Berlioz has been a gradual process, but Draeseke came easily. The great thing to me is that we are sharing our responses.

Peter1953

The music of Draeseke is growing on me more and more. I spent this rainy Sunday listening to the five Draeseke discs I have: the 4 Symphonies (cpo), the Piano Sonata and the Piano Concerto. I love the Symphonies 1, 2 and especially 3. The Piano Sonata is a fascinating, intelligent and well-crafted piece of music. I have always had some problems with the Piano Concerto, but never mind. I think now is the time to get to know some of his chamber music. Any recommendations where to start?

Mark Thomas

Peter, Alan's the Draeseke expert here and his recommendations are spot on.