News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fred Adlington (1892-1931)

Started by pcc, Wednesday 02 April 2014, 00:40

Previous topic - Next topic

pcc

Does anyone here have any information on this composer/conductor?  From what little I've been been able to find, he's turning out to be a figure that may have an interesting story.  Here's what I've dug out to date:

1) He published some string compositions around 1910, listed in The Strad, and continued to publish works for string ensemble until the year of his death;
2) He was conductor at the Carlton Cinema, Swansea, in the mid-teens (1914-16 at least), and the quality of the orchestra garnered some interest in the local press. The papers also list him conducting some of his own works with the cinema orchestra, including a grandly-titled "Sardanapalus" concert overture;
3) He continued to compose and arrange through the 1920s, doing orchestration work for John Mackenzie-Rogan, Barbara Phillips, and even Billy Mayerl;
4) He seems to have been a cartoonist and illustrator as well - there is a 1916 cartoon of a cinema pianist playing "Battle Music" that was published in Pictures and Picturegoer credited to "Fred Adlington", and there are a number of concert programmes and books on musical subjects with the credit "Ornamented by Fred Adlington";
5) He may be the same Fred Adlington credited with writing some song texts for Julius Harrison and others;
6) He conducted the "Old English Chamber Orchestra" in mid 1920s radio broadcasts, and continued broadcasting with "Fred Adlington's Wireless Octette" when -
7) he became musical director for the Metropole Gramophone Company in 1927-28, conducting their "Athenaeum Symphony Orchestra", "Athenaeum Light Orchestra", and other groups (including his "Wireless Octette") on both Metropole and its cheaper (but more successful) Piccadilly label, including possibly providing orchestral accompaniments for classical singers the company recorded (like Joseph Farrington, Sydney de Vries, Sydney Coltham, and Lenghi-Cellini).

I only found his dates on the blog "The Land of Lost Content" in an entry published six years ago, and I'd like to find out more about him.  The Metropole/Piccadilly sides are colourful, if slightly rough-and-ready performances, possibly due to Metropole's budgets precluding their getting the best London players (and in a sense the discs are more interesting for that).  If what I've outlined is all his work, he did a fair bit before his early death - the same year Metropole went bankrupt, incidentally.  If he was a composer-conductor-illustrator-poet at once, that's impressive (at least to me). I wonder what his music is like, and what his training was.