Casella Symphonies 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 31 May 2010, 14:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

By the sound of the excerpts available here...
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/news.php
...the two early symphonies of Alfredo Casella will make for really exciting listening (No.1 on Naxos, No.2 on Chandos).

wunderkind

Interesting releases.

I have each of the works with which the symphonies are coupled, but I guess I'll have to double up.

CPO released a Sinfonia per orchestra, Op.63 - which is Casella's Third. 

jthill

It looks like Naxos also has the 2nd symphony pending according to this: http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572414 .
I believe Naxos plans to do all four of Casella's symphonies.

Alan Howe

This sort of duplication is wasteful, isn't it? - although comparisons can be fascinating. The Naxos version of No.2 should be out in July.

JimL

Isn't he the one who composed a Triple Concerto as his Op. 56, to directly emulate Beethoven?

M. Henriksen

In addition to the mentioned recordings of Casellas two first Symphonies on Naxos, the same company will also issue recordings of his 3rd Symphony coupled with "Elegia eroica" and one CD containing "Notte di maggio", "Scarlattiana" and the Cello Concerto. This info was found in the booklet of the Symphony no. 1-recording by Naxos.

Morten

Alan Howe

Unfortunately. the Naxos version of No.2 sounds as if it should be avoided. A comparison of the tempi chosen for the second movement demonstrates this most clearly - the superb BBCPO on Chandos play a true Allegro molto vivace, whereas the distinctly second-rate RomeSO on Naxos just don't get the music off the ground at their lumbering tempo. A shame - but, if you can afford it, go for the Chandos CD.

M. Henriksen

I couldn't agree more after comparing the excerpts from these two recordings! The Naxos version seems stuck in the mud.

Alan Howe

On the whole I didn't think much of Naxos' Martucci series from the same orchestra/conductor either. Not up to their usual standard at all...

M. Henriksen

Does anyone know if Chandos are going to record more of Casella's music. And what about CPO?

Morten

albion

According to Ralph Couzens, MD at Chandos "Petrassi orchestral works being planned right now, plus more Casella" (Chandos forum, 11th June 2010).

febnyc

I just listened to the Casella No.2, on Chandos.

I was not prepared for a symphony of this magnitude and overflowing emotions with its Mahlerian depth and sound world.  I'd heard other Casella pieces; none of them quite had the firepower of No.2.

Chandos' sound is excellent.  I have no way to judge the performance but it sure knocked me out of my seat more than once.  Appassionatissimo, indeed!

Mark Thomas

... and yet. Although I have really enjoyed listening to the first two Casella symphonies quite a lot over the last couple of months and really like the colour and grandeur of his canvas, I'm starting to get irritated by his inability to know when to stop. He is just so profligate with his ideas. One gets the impression that he'd rather invent something new and throw that into the mix than develop something which he has already introduced. It's both lazy and exhausting.

Alan Howe

You're right, Mark. The features you point out are Casella's downfall, I think. Still, if you're up for the ride and well strapped in, it's pretty exhilarating...

Pengelli

Naxos can be good. I was very pleased with their recent cd of Schmidt's 3rd.  Haven't heard Casella yet,but he sounds very intriguing.