Fibich Symphonic Poems from Naxos

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 03 June 2014, 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

ewk

I never understood why Fibich is so much less known than dvorak and smetana, his symphonies are outstanding.

Does anyone know these tone poems and can compare them to Ma vlást and the Dvorak symphonic poems?

ewk

FBerwald

Actually the wiki article very clearly explains why Fibich is obscure in comparison to Dvorak and Smetana. I really like his orchestral music. Pity he never wrote a concerto.

Alan Howe

QuoteI never understood why Fibich is so much less known than Dvorak and Smetana, his symphonies are outstanding

...briefly put, I'd say that both Dvorak's and Smetana's best music was more memorable thematically than Fibich's best. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't hear his music far more often than we do.

semloh

The situation re the symphonic poems is summed up by the public reactions to their respective symphonies. ABC radio (Australian) is always running those popularity contests for types of classical music, and the most popular symphony is Dvorak's 9th. It has remained a favourite symphony for generations, and there is nothing to match it in Fibich's output. Much the same can be said about the "American" string quartet, and so much of Dvorak's chamber music. Although I love Fibich, I think we are talking about two composers who are poles apart in terms of musical genius. Comparing Fibich to Dvorak is just so unfair on Fibich!  :)

FBerwald

Nothing to match in Fibich's output? What about Poem? Granted, it's in a smaller scale but it's equally memorable. I would also like to point out that while Dvorak wrote in a nationalistic idiom, Fibich was mainly Germanic, despite being the 1st person to introduce a polka in a quartet. I don't know much about the piano music of Fibich [perhaps someone here who's a bit familiar with the huge cycle, can shed some light on it!].
Fibich is Fibich and not Dvorak. If we start comparing then its the same as comparing Dvorak with Brahms; or Brahms with Herzogenberg or Fuchs. Give each composer a fair hearing [if you have the time :D]

alberto

Among Fibich's tone poems I would rank high Toman and the Wood Nymph (which begins with a shrewd use of a well known Schubert's theme). I know it from an Aulos label Cd (M.Turnovsky, Bamberger Sym.) . Among the others I know The Storm and Spring. The Third Naxos Fibich orchestral CD is for me on paper very interesting (I gather there will be EIGHT Naxos Cds of Fibich orchestral works).

Alan Howe

QuoteIf we start comparing...

Problem is, we were asked to account for the fact that Fibich is less well known than Dvorak and Smetana - so comparisons are unavoidable. But that doesn't mean that his music shouldn't be played - quite the reverse!

semloh

Yes, totally agree, Alan.

And, while I didn't start the comparison off, it is an inevitable one, and is a useful example of the challenge to explain why some composers have a higher profile than others. Although, as I said, I enjoy Fibich's music, perhaps the best we can say is that a couple of his compositions might compare favourably with similar works by Dvorak, but that's about all. I admit that am a complete sucker for Dvorak's piano music - I love it! 

Once again, all I can say is that comparing Fibich to most other composers would reflect well on him, but comparing him to Dvorak is giving him almost no chance!

It reminds me of that story about the music sent into space on Voyager - was it Carl Sagan who said that sending one of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos was "just showing off!". I would have said the same about sending a number of Dvorak pieces.  ;D

JeremyMHolmes

Has anyone had a chance to listen to this new recording yet?

sdtom

]http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/08/01/orchestral-works-vol-3fibich/]

I've had the opportunity to listen and also review for my blog. Overall I found it most pleasant. His "Othello" I rank as a good one.  Why he didn't achieve the popularity of Dvorak I'm sure had to do with promotion. I think coming to America created a huge following.
Tom

Alan Howe

QuoteWhy he didn't achieve the popularity of Dvorak I'm sure had to do with promotion

Possibly. But he wasn't as great a composer as his older compatriot...

sdtom

Perhaps Alan as his ideas were definitely structured and in the box as we might say today. But definitely there is merit.
Tom

Alan Howe

Oh, his ideas have more than merit. He's a fine composer.

sdtom

Yet as you stated there is something that is missing from his works that make him a fine composer and not a great one.
Tom