News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stephen Elmas (1862-1937)

Started by jerfilm, Wednesday 27 August 2014, 04:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

But they haven't recorded the Polish Fantasy for piano and orchestra.

Gareth Vaughan

Well, it's impossible to make out from the image. At least, it is for me!

Alan Howe

I think we'll find that it's the Gablenz PC and Paderewski's Polish Fantasy - as indicated in the thread on that subject.

Anyway, back to Elmas...

terry martyn

I understand that Hyperion will be accepting pre-orders in December,with the plan being a January launch.

Alan Howe

Sharkkb8

Quote from: terry martyn on Friday 18 September 2020, 09:08
I understand that Hyperion will be accepting pre-orders in December,with the plan being a January launch.
Apple Music has the download listed as a pre-order now, with release 8 Jan.  And this is (again) before it is to be found on Amazon or Presto. 

https://music.apple.com/us/album/elmas-piano-concertos/1532397499

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

No doubt the performances and recording quality will be huge improvements on what's currently available on YouTube, but whether even Howard Shelley can make more of the music itself is the key question. Of course, whether or not there are depths to plumb, a pair of sparkling virtuoso performances, full of big romantic gestures would still be quite welcome.

terry martyn

I am sure that Howard Shelley will do his best. I´ve been listening to a lot of Shelley and a lot of Ponti recently.  Both fine,and different, performers, but sometimes when it comes to Shelley I´m reminded of what Rex Harrison once said about the acting gamut of Robert Morley.......

Mark Thomas

"A legend in his own lunchtime"? He's not the showman that Ponti is, of course, but I think that's rather unfair to Shelley. They're very different musicians.

terry martyn

Harrison is supposed to have said ¨One wife, one house, and , come to think about it, one performance

Mark Thomas

Ah, didn't know that one, but it still undervalues Shelley.

Alan Howe

It's pointless to compare a pioneering keyboard wizard like Ponti with the brilliant and arguably more reliable Shelley. Both are incredible virtuosos, but of rather different types.

Revilod

Howard Shelley must surely be a hero for everyone who is interested in unsung music. His indefatigability is astonishing and he has recorded countless works which otherwise would not have been recorded at all. Where would we be without him?

Mark Thomas