News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Emanuel Moór Harp Concerto

Started by Aramiarz, Tuesday 16 September 2014, 14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Dear friends
   This interesting piece is lost, Moor's Society don't find it..  :'(  anyone has information?
Thank You!

Gareth Vaughan

I presume you are referring to the Concerto for Chromatic Harp, Op. 141. Is that correct? This piece was unpublished and is presumed lost. There is a substantial Moor Archive at the Central Music Library, Westminster, London. It is poorly catalogued and housed in their basement. They do not have the resources to catalogue it properly, but I have been given access to it. I regret I could not find the Op. 141 Chromatic Harp concerto among their holdings.

Alan Howe

Thanks for looking, Gareth. There's so much more Moor (sorry!) to discover, though.

Aramiarz

Dear Gareth, You are very kind for you research! I'm very grateful to You. Moor's music must be performance And recording, We have importants projects with Moor Society for this object. We start with the second symphony And one piano concert, maybe the first.

Alan Howe

Aramiarz: can you give us further details about your plans to record Moor, please?

semloh

I was surprised to see that Emanuel Moór has appeared a dozen or so times in UC threads - references to the violin and piano concertos, Gareth referring to the dusty drawers in the Basement of the CML Westminster back in 2012, and so on... but I don't think we've ever mentioned this harp concerto.

There seems to be no obvious explanation for the neglect of Emanuel Moór, as his music was generally very favourably received in his lifetime. Antisemitism perhaps played a part, and I don't suppose the ultimate failure of his two inventions - the  'duplex-coupler' pianoforte and a new type of violin - did his reputation much good. Just guessing...

He was prolific: Grove lists 8 symphonies, many operas, 4 violin concertos, 2 cello concertos, the harp concerto (1913), a viola concerto, a triple concerto, several rhapsodies for violin and orchestra, and a host of orchestral works; a Requiem, a Stabat Mater and other choral and vocal works, a range of chamber works, and works for harp.

Much of this remains unrecorded, as far as I can tell, so the efforts of Aramiarz and the Moór Society are to be welcomed indeed.

Aramiarz

Dear friends
I'm glad for your interest in Moór's music! They send us the second symphony, one broadcasting performance in Radio Hungarian "Kossuth", is his denomination. Very interesting!! We performance and recording early 2015, moreover my friend and excellent  pianist Ritter, choose between the piano concert op 46 and 85. All this for start.  We  want to do the sixth, Casals loved it!!!too they send us the rapshody op 93. The project is rescue the piano concerts, violin concerts, triple concert, symphonies, piano sonates, etc. There are a lot of work!!!

Alan Howe

Aramiarz

Peter Szabo are performance and recording the cello works, the sonates and cello concerts, we want to do the other symphonic works, this project is for several years. I hope anyday appear the harp concert!!

Gareth Vaughan

Can you give us any more news on the proposed recordings of Moor's symphonies and concertos, please?

Aramiarz

Dear Gareth. Thank you for your interest.
The Second Symphony in c minor and the piano concert in c minor, was scheduled for performance and recording in october of this year.:)

Herbert Pauls

The upcoming series of recordings sounds very promising! I have always been curious about Moor ever since reading the big Kirk biography of Casals more than 30 years ago. That book had quite a bit of material about Moor which I found fascinating.

Alan Howe

QuoteThe Second Symphony in c minor and the piano concerto in c minor

Wonderful news! Thanks for the information.