Cliffe Symphony No.2 Recording Project

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 November 2014, 15:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Update:
The CDs of Symphony No.2 are now in the post to me. I will mail them on as soon as I receive them.

Richard Moss

Brilliant - looking forward very much to hearing this.  Congratulations to all involved in getting this CD to market and, equally, to Alan for his efforts to get the CD sent out.

Best wishes

Richard

Mark Thomas

kuula

Great work by Alan and all involved.  Now, the hard part..........patience.

Alan Howe

The CDs - which include a fascinating booklet essay by Chris F. himself - were posted off this morning. Enquiries regarding the purchase of the CD should be addressed to Chris from this point on.

Alan Howe

Symphony No.2 is clearly the work of the same composer as No.1, but the conception is grander and the pace in general considerably more leisurely. What will strike the listener most, I suspect, is the sheer richness of the piece: there is nothing remotely comparable in British symphonic music before Elgar - unless there is something else awaiting rediscovery 'out there' somewhere. By 1892 Cliffe has left the world of Parry and Stanford well behind him and is striking out on his own, forging a musical language infused by the innovations of Wagner and possibly Bruckner. The symphony is an extraordinary achievement and must now be taken up by conductors interested in the musical renaissance which was taking place in these islands at the close of the nineteenth century.

We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Chris Fifield and his committed orchestra for bringing this magnificent work before the public. Chris' reward should now be the opportunity to make a commercial recording for a major label and so bring the work to a wider audience than can be reached by this private release.

Mark Thomas

That really is a mouth-watering description, Alan, of what is obviously a very important work. I can't wait to hear the piece myself, but unfortunately it'll be the weekend at the earliest for me.

Alan Howe

Can't wait to hear friends' assessment of Cliffe 2. My opinion after a few hearings is that it is the finest British symphony pre-Elgar, but I realise that may upset proponents of Stanford or Parry - of whom I count myself one. The next question is: how good is this piece in ultimate terms? Is it repertoire-worthy? And who will take it up?

Mark Thomas

Can you just remind us? I know that the score was in manuscript only, and required some editing for performance. Was the editing just cosmetic? Is what we are going to hear 100% Cliffe? If not, how much isn't and who is responsible for it?

Alan Howe

As far as I know it's 100% Cliffe. The score used is a product of the wholesale tidying-up and correction process undertaken by Patrick Meadows and Lionel Harrison.

Mark Thomas

Ah, yes, I remember Lionel posting about it a few years ago here. Thanks, Alan.

kuula

Alan, can you tell us the timings of each movement? Thank you.

Alan Howe

Your wish....

1  15:57
2  19:16
3    9:59
4  14:47

Alan Howe

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please would anyone wishing to purchase a copy of the Cliffe 2 CD and contacting Chris Fifield via the website remember to include your email and postal addresses.

Thanks

kuula

Has anyone received their CDs?  I would love some feedback on performance and recording, etc.
Being in the US I do not expect my copy for some time yet.