News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Loeffler from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 November 2014, 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

"coruscating", Mark? I think you mean "excoriating". "Coruscating" means bright and sparkling, like a firework. The article flays Loeffler and is, therefore, "excoriating", meaning "removing the skin", hence "criticizing severely". Sorry to be pedantic, but in the interests of accuracy... etc.

Alan Howe

The music's not really impressionistic. It's late romantic.

Mark Thomas

Gareth, I consciously used "coruscating" as a description of Rosenfeld's sparkling language, rather than of his criticism of Loeffler, but I do accept that my grammar defeated the distinction, so I'll cheerfully accept the rebuke! As for Loeffler's music being late romantic rather than impressionist, Alan, I bow to your knowledge of Loeffler. It's some time since I listened to any, which is why Rosenfeld's critique piqued my interest in the new Dutton recording.

I shall clearly have to be more careful what and how I write in future! Oh dear :-[

Gareth Vaughan

No need to apologise, Mark. I clearly missed the point. Many apologies are due from me instead, I think, for censuring you when there was no reason to do so.

chill319

Rosenfeld represents a certain phase of American criticism, a phase intent on rejecting the aesthetics associated with the generation of Huneker. Rosenfeld was no philistine and he had a strong sense of where he thought classical music should be headed. But if a composer's own intuitive sense of his path didn't match Rosenfeld's prescriptions, the likelihood of finding an open ear in Rosenfeld's corner was dim indeed. Thus I, for one, hear no "hampering" at all in Loeffler's Music for Four Stringed Instruments, written as a tombeau for an American aviator killed in action during the Great War.

During the late 19th century foreign composers who had became famous abroad were welcomed in the U.S. with open arms -- witness the receptions of Tchaikovsky and Dvorak. Those, however, who tried to establish reputations as composers here in the provinces were possibly respected but never loved. That coterie includes Loeffler.

Yet if German-born Loeffler's slope seems to have been a steep one, compare it to the difficulties Danish-born Asgard Hamerik had in establishing an American reputation -- this despite the fact that Hamerik was both the most prolific and, together with Chadwick, probably the best symphonist writing in the U.S. during the 1880s and '90s.

JimL

I'm sure you meant ASGER Hamerik, chill.

Alan Howe

He's been watching too much Stargate - or reading too many Marvel comics. Anyway: back to Loeffler...

eschiss1

the derivation (etym. of "Asgard") is at least a -little- older than that (well, a lot), but yes.

Hrm. Symphonists writing in the USA in the 1880s and '90s... I don't love Dvorak's 9th symphony, completed in 1892 in New York I believe, but ... still... I find that last statement of yours debatable, I do.

Alan Howe

Point well made, Eric. Back to Loeffler...

semloh

Mark, do let us know whether your view of Loeffler's music changes should you purchase the Dutton CD. Surely, it must!?!  ;D

Mark Thomas

Haven't bought it yet, Colin, but I'll get right on and make the investment now.... Downloading now, listening follows, but don't hope too much much for a change of heart, though.

Alan Howe

It's just solid late-romantic fare in my book. Nothing to frighten the horses...

Mark Thomas

...but nothing much to get this particular horse frisky either, I'm afraid. I clearly don't have the Loeffler gene in my musical make up. I just found the music on offer in the new Dutton recording rather uninteresting on the whole. He was certainly a dab hand at orchestration, I'll give him that, he conjures up some gorgeous sounds, but I didn't feel that the music itself was going anywhere. For me it was scenery without a journey. My ears did perk up for the finale of the Divertissement for Violin and Orchestra, but mainly because the good old Dies Irae put in an appearance. Sorry, I'm not saying the Loeffler is a bad composer, just that he doesn't do much for me.

semloh

But you have given him a fair hearing, Mark, and the fact that you did hear some "gorgeous sounds" is encouraging. Maybe I like Loeffler because sometimes I am too lazy to be concerned about the destination, and quite happy to trundle along, enjoying the pretty scenery!  ;D

chill319

QuoteI don't love Dvorak's 9th symphony, completed in 1892 in New York I believe, but ... still... I find that last statement of yours debatable, I do.
Indeed, Dvorak excepted. If you have any other candidates, though, I'd like to know who they are.