News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Witt and Hoffmann from CPO

Started by sdtom, Monday 23 February 2015, 19:40

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Received a new recording from CPO of works by Witt and Hoffmann. It could very well have been released earlier in Europe. Not too familiar with either composer I found Undine overture of Hoffmann and the Symphony in A of Witt to be the most interesting to me.
Tom

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

That CD is hardly 'new'. It's from 2010.

It's a great CD though.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

There's a CD on Orfeo, I think?, of two Witt symphonies (nos. 6 and 9 of at least 15?) that came out some time back.  Witt may be best-known for a symphony that received more performances when it had Beethoven's name attached, but which remarkably became, by the alchemy of such things, a rather worse piece when it was discovered it was by Witt (the Jena Symphonie).

sdtom

Quote from: TerraEpon on Tuesday 24 February 2015, 20:29
That CD is hardly 'new'. It's from 2010.

It's a great CD though.

I think we're talking about a different recording. My liner notes indicate it was recorded in January of 2014. Could there be another recording?
Tom :)

sdtom

Quote from: sdtom on Monday 23 February 2015, 19:40
Received a new recording from CPO of works by Witt and Hoffmann. It could very well have been released earlier in Europe. Not too familiar with either composer I found Undine overture of Hoffmann and the Symphony in A of Witt to be the most interesting to me.
Tom

The choice of using Hoffmann I too thought was a bit odd until I did further reading. Hoffmann among many talents wrote reviews and his first two were the symphony in a major and the jena symphony of Witt. Apparently Bamberg is close to Niederstetten and while they never met they knew of each other. There is a tie in. Both composers were of the Haydn school.

Alan Howe

The Naxos recording is from 2010; the cpo is new. Apologies for having thought the Naxos was new too.

sdtom

sdtom

I've had a listen to the Naxos and the CPO recordings and I definitely prefer the Naxos recording. The sound is brighter with more detailed revealed and Gallois seems to have a better understanding of the work. I think they could have chosen another filler piece perhaps an all Hoffmann CD.
Tom

sdtom

Alan Howe

sdtom

I had a listen to it on utube and enjoyed it poor sound and all. I may just get it. Thanks for the info Alan
Tom

sdtom

sdtom

I'm now going to tackle the Hoffmann part of the CD. It includes his eflat major symphony and two opera overtures.